Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were looking at the Smart car in the Orland Park IL dealership while our Sprinter Van RV was being serviced there last May. We bought a new 2013 Smart Cabriolet that day. We were told by the salesman Jamal that we would get $1000 in customer loyalty money back because we already owned a Sprinter, told that this was a promotion Mercedes was running. We did several emails back and forth with Jamal about the $1000 loyalty money, then he quit responding. We contacted the Orland Park IL dealership to be told Jamal was gone and he made a mistake that we would not be getting any loyalty money, even after we presented Jamals email about the loyalty money. Very disappointing that this dealership is not standing by its word. You can bet we won't be buying another vehicle from them.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
The lesson must be: if it isn't in the original and final sales papers then it is not happening.
Sad story to hear and we should take notice of the dealership.

However you can still enjoy the heck out of your cabrio and keep up with this forum for any ideas to make your time with the smart more enjoyable because it is a very enjoyable car.

·
17,360 Posts
Yeah, none of the Illinois dealers are very good. St. Charles and Lincolnwood both have top notch sales departments, but all of them suck across the board with service...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our final contact on this issue was with sales manager Brad Schrader at Orland Park. Shame on them for not keeping their word.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love the Smart car, fun to drive especially on a nice day with the top down.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The incentive for Sprinter owners is shown on the Smart USA website.

Here are the restrictions: "[9] smart Customer Loyalty Cash of $1,000 for any customer that currently owns or leases a smart vehicle, Mercedes-Benz and or Sprinter vehicle with a valid registration card will be eligible. This offer is combinable with all current offerings EXCEPT with CVP, EDD, smart Teacher Appreciation Program or Fleet."

If none of these restrictions apply to you I would contact Smart USA and ask why your local dealership isn't honoring the published incentive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the responses. Just sent an email to Smartcar about this issue. We will see what they have to say.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My understanding is that if the dealer doesn't give you the money, then they get to pocket it themselves. The loyalty cash comes from MB corporate, not from the dealer. Some dealers would rather keep the money than give it to you.

It's not unheard of to get a car from out-of-state to avoid a crooked dealer. Here in CA, a lot of people ordered their FRS's from a Toyota dealer in Colorado just because the dealers here were charging way over MSRP. The Colorado dealer shipped to your door for free.

I found a similar story for people buying Rav4 EVs. There's a sales lady out-of-state that specializes in the Rav4 EV. She's only got a dozen left, but she ships them nationwide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You prob are right guysmiley. 1. we were promised the Loyalty$ at time of sale. 2. We have emails from salesman asking for sprinter reg so that he could get the$$. 3. Salesman no longer there, manager told us the promotion was only on the 2014s not the 2013s left, that salesman was wrong. 4. Got a call back from MB complaints, said he spoke with manager who said the loyalty$$ was already taken off the price. Went on to say he could extend us a discount if we wanted to buy anothet vehicle! What! He must be crazy to think we would ever buy another MB product after this experience. Just want to spread the word that if you are buying anything from the dealer in Orland Park IL GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Orland Park....you need to step up to the plate and do the right thing here. This story reflects very poorly on you and will hurt your sales. I almost bought an Ice Shine cabrio smart from you a year ago but we couldn't quite come to terms which is OK. This problem is NOT OK!

I for one would not do business with you knowing what you have done in this instance. Fix it and all will be OK. Or don't fix it and lose your reputation...oh...and potential customers.

I have a smart so loyalty would apply, my wife is a teacher and that would apply (although not both at the same time.) Using your standards neither would apply and that removes two large groups of customers.

·
17,360 Posts
IMHO - Illinois has too many dealers. All of Wisconsin is saddled with one and we get several. And honestly? They ALL suck.

St. Charles and Lincolnwood have exceptional sales staff (I know the Brand Manager at Lincolnwood), but I've yet to come across an Illinois dealer with acceptable service.

Lincolnwood is the worst. They're the most expensive (service and parts) by a wide margin. $255 for the 10k service. Whaaa?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If the loyalty discount was already taken off the MSRP then they did what they were required to do. That's usually they way it is done AFAIK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Filed a complaint with the BBB, not that it will do any good. This dealership has an F rating with the BBB. Should of done our homework before purchasing. Expected better from a MB dealer. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I am more inclined to believe that the salesman thought the "loyalty" was a rebate, when it was in fact an incentive. The dealer reduces the typical selling price by $1,000 versus the price for those not qualifying for the incentive.

Maybe the salesperson was new, inexperienced, or was trying to fill the shoes for the smart expert who may have been absent that day.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I don't truly know. But I try to not assume the worst in everybody and tend to believe there are more mistakes and misinformation than pure outright dishonesty or intent to deceive. But again, I wasn't there so I don't truly know what happened, how it happened, and why it happened. I just feel bad that the purchaser feels she/he was deceived and that it did happen.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Filed a complaint with the BBB, not that it will do any good. This dealership has an F rating with the BBB. Should of done our homework before purchasing. Expected better from a MB dealer. Lesson learned.
I really feel for you. If you have the time and inclination it might be cathartic to give the dealership reviews on epinions.com and angieslist.com. I don't think you have to be a member of Angie's List to give reviews.

If you're even more inclined, I think you have an excellent case for small-claims court. The incentive was very clearly described. If none of the restrictions applied to you, then you should have received it. The incentive is not described as something optional that individual dealerships can't opt out of. Outrageous!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Palos Park and realized after my first service visit to the dealership that it was not going to be a good fit. We own 2 Smarts. If you live down this way and ever need service you MUST go to SLK Autohaus at LaGrange Road and 159th (across from Pep boys). They are amazing and have taken care of all of our cars for the past 3 years...and we have had many!! Mercedes wanted $154.xx for an oil change. SLK charged $31.50 for our Brabus and $36.50 for our Passion Cabrio (apparently the filter was more for some reason). They are amazing, nice, professional, fair, and excellent mechanics. I tried ordering an IPod cable for our Cabrio 4 times from the Orland dealership and they never even got back to me...SLK can do it...no problem. Go to SLK!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Figured that too...but didn't matter. They are always super fair with pricing and never try to add stuff to our service, etc. They even bend over backwards to get things covered by our extended warranty. The oil changes were a week apart and gas prices jumped, so maybe the oil prices did too! Regardless, they are the best mechanics we have ever dealt with!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts