Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My wife's 2009 still has the original battery. As long as it's used every 3-4 days, it works just fine. Tough winter for us health-wise so not much smart car use.I guess we now have to find a replacement. This thread is way old. Surely someone has found the ideal replacement battery by now.

·
I'll figger this car out
252 Posts
My wife's 2009 still has the original battery. As long as it's used every 3-4 days, it works just fine. Tough winter for us health-wise so not much smart car use.I guess we now have to find a replacement. This thread is way old. Surely someone has found the ideal replacement battery by now.
This battery is still sold at NAPA locations for about US105.00 . The original battery in my resuscitated 451 has been replaced by a Varta battery which is working well.
Personally, I have used NAPA and DEKA batteries a lot, and they seem to hold up well. Warranty on NAPA has not changed, still 3 years, then prorate for 8 years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will be trying to install the new H6-AGM from Costco which is $252 (cdn.) delivered. It has a 100 month warranty, of which the first 60 months is free replacement.

Fantastic CCA and RC which will be excellent for these cars which are prone to voltage fluctuations. This is basically the same battery as the new optima H6 except a $100 cheaper and a full 2 year less free replacement warranty.

The H6 is the new European standard replacing the group 48, as is the H5 replacing the group 47.

I was in Costco Bellingham WA and noticed that they do stock the H6-AGM for $153 or $158, can't recall which.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the H6/Group48 AGM installed.

It was about an 1/8" too long and my choices were to square out the round corner in the battery bay, sand some of the hold down plastic on the bottom of the battery or slightly bend up the edge of the battery tray. I went with bending up the folded over edge of the battery tray by the end with some vice grips. It dropped straight in and fits perfectly without any movement side to side.

I then flattened down the factory mount and secured the battery in place.

Being an AGM there is little to no gassing and the previous owner appears to have removed the battery hose.

I have noticed the following changes from the Group 47 battery that the previous owner installed about 6-9 months ago.

The light are brighter.
The transmission downshifts smoother, with no unwanted behaviour.
Accelerates smoother with proper upshifts.
Running voltage is 14.2 compared to 14.5 to 14.6
Battery in off position or rest position is 12.9 to 13.0 compared to 12.2 to 12.4 volts.

·
I'll figger this car out
252 Posts
I got the H6/Group48 AGM installed.

It was about an 1/8" too long and my choices were to square out the round corner in the battery bay, sand some of the hold down plastic on the bottom of the battery or slightly bend up the edge of the battery tray. I went with bending up the folded over edge of the battery tray by the end with some vice grips. It dropped straight in and fits perfectly without any movement side to side.

I then flattened down the factory mount and secured the battery in place.

Being an AGM there is little to no gassing and the previous owner appears to have removed the battery hose.

I have noticed the following changes from the Group 47 battery that the previous owner installed about 6-9 months ago.

The light are brighter.
The transmission downshifts smoother, with no unwanted behaviour.
Accelerates smoother with proper upshifts.
Running voltage is 14.2 compared to 14.5 to 14.6
Battery in off position or rest position is 12.9 to 13.0 compared to 12.2 to 12.4 volts.
I definitely understand the smoother shifting, given the increased power to the shifting mechanism by the electrical system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is almost day and night change. Worth it for the brighter headlights alone, let alone no longer fumbling downshifts when coming to a stop

81 - 87 of 87 Posts