Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the left low beam headlight, in the dark, no flashlight...

Getting good at these headlight bulb replacements....

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. I average about a year per bulb. Getting close to replacement time again.

Though I've gotten better with practice, I'm not sure I'm "good" at it yet. It still really hurts my fingers too.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have only had 1 bulb go out in the last 5 years. Maybe you should go the the dealership and spend $500 on them to diagnose it...wait...maybe not. :)

·
17,345 Posts
HIDs occupying both low and high. Easy as PI to replace.

Waiting for the LED option here....
LOL, not sure I'll live long enough to see an affordable option. Would be sweet though.
I'm currently monitoring the progress of LED headlamp options. There are now H7 CREE LED bulbs with 360 degree coverage and lumen output comparable to 4.5k HID bulbs.

At this time last year? There were only bulbs with 16-28 small LEDs with a light output waaaaaay under the legal limit. Basically iPhone camera LEDs...

Imagine what will be available a year from now.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I've replaced 3 in a little over 5 years, so that probably means it's about time. But, I've only had to replace low beam headlight bulbs and that's it.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I haven't had to replace a high beam either. Reasonable to assume that's because I rarely use high beams ... night driving on unfamiliar roads being something I avoid.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Protect them from that gosh darned clip. The force required to bend it in and out of position hurts my fingers, a lot.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Mid 2000's Chevy Tahoe/truck has got to be the easiest. Open hood, turn both pins 1/4 turn and pull up. The head light pops out and 1/4 turn on the bulb socket pulls it out. You could do it in pitch black by feel first time no problem. No tools and easy access. Should be standard on every vehicle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Protect them from that gosh darned clip. The force required to bend it in and out of position hurts my fingers, a lot.
I'm with you. It hurts my fingers as well and I don't consider myself a wuss. I'm 6'3" and 300lbs with extra large hands.

·
17,345 Posts
Protect fingers from what? My hands are large enough to palm a basketball off the dribble (and take Neonspinnaz to the rack) and I don't have any issues.
Tiny hands here...no issue working with the clips. :D

Mine are harder to get out because of the HIDs too.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts