Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while my car will decide it doesn't want to get into gear. I move the shifter to reverse or drive and nothing happens and no "D" or "R" shows up in the display, when it's doing this the only things that show up are "P" and "N" when the shifter knob is in those respective positions, was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
You can try "teaching-in" the transmission (08 Owners Manual, pg 135):

Quote:
In case of a minor transmission malfunction, it might be possible to teach-in the transmission in order to restore the normal transmission mode.
i If the attempt to teach-in the transmission fails, you cannot continue to drive. Therefore we strongly recommend that you have the transmission taught in at a qualified workshop or at an authorized smart center.
Teaching in the transmission system:
> Stop the vehicle in a safe location.
> Move the gear selector lever to park position P.
> Turn off the engine.
> Wait at least 30 seconds before restarting
> Press the brake pedal.
> Restart the engine
• Three bars instead of P appear in the multifunction display( page 236).
> Wait at least 30 seconds.
• The transmission is taught in.
When teaching in was successful:
• P appears in the multifunction display (page 136) again.
•Normal transmission operating is restored.
> Continue to drive.
After an unsuccessful teach-in
• Three bars instead of P appear in the multifunction display.
> Do not continue to drive.
> Turn off the engine.
> Set the parking brake when leaving the vehicle.
> Contact Roadside Assistance or an authorized smart center

:)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
i had the same problem this morning, and if i put it in manual with the stick it did move but then back to auto and only p/n on the indicator. i think i turned it off and back on and now it works ok, so far. ill try the tech next time and take my chances with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, mine does that too, if I turn it off and back on it'll work, but it's happened a hand full of times, most recently it actually happened when I was pulling into a parking spot, that was the first time it happend after it had been in gear and driving

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I was exiting the highway and at the end of the exit ramp I came to a complete stop waiting for cros traffic and my Pure shifted into neutral. I stepped on the gas and the motor revved up but didn't go. I noticed it was in Neutral... then it went back into gear and I too koff. never touched the gear selector..... I am right around 15K miles... my last one was just over 16K when it had it's meltdown......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts