Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2011 smart I instantly discovered, to a very small extent, what it is like to be a celebrity. People would stare at my car, walk up to me in parking lots to ask questions and make comments (not all of them good of course). Even though smart cars had been on sale for a few years in the US they still weren't common and they attracted a lot of attention.

A couple of weeks ago I got my 453 and have been driving it as much as possible but so far no questions, no comments, no one really even seems to notice the car, which is kind of nice in a lot of ways. I am a little surprised by this, the 453 looks very different from the 451 and I have only seen one other 453 on the road since I moved back to the US so they aren't very common, at least not where I live.

Are there just enough cars closer in size to the smart now, Chevy Spark, Fiat 500, that they just don't stand out any more? Are people recognizing the 453 as a smart car and so they feel familiar enough with them as to not have questions?

If you own a 453 what have you experienced? Are our cars actually seen as normal now?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Funny you should ask, just tonight my wife and I went out to dinner in my '16 passion and a couple grabbing a smoke outside started asking us about the car, the woman had loads of questions which we glady answered. The woman said it was cute and called it a matchbox car, I couldn't resist and brought out my imitation matchbox smart and showed it to her. After a good laugh she broke out her cell phone and took a picture of it in my hand. After we finished eating we ran into them again as we got into the car. You could say we're a 3 smart car family, my wife and I each drive 2016 passions and our 17 year old granddaughter drives her own 2013 passion.

BTW, these are our 3rd & 4th smarts, the 1st two were an '08 & '09 passion.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yea... but there still aren't really any cars here in the US that are THAT close to the Smart's size that it'd be mistaken for anything but a Smart. Fiat's are still quite big, as are Spark's.

As far as attention.... i will say there was MORE when i had my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe than I've noticed now with my '16 Prime.... but it's not entirely unexpected. The more the car is around, the more people figure out what it is. I've had some people asking me questions about it here and there.... several just saying "Nice car" and moving on.... not really any negativity (that i've been able to hear).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd like to briefly hijack this thread for a moment as it seems to be filled with happy contented 453 owners...Are you not put off by the fuel tank filling "crisis" that has occurred in the U.S? There seems to be none of it here in the UK? I've just recently read about some very drastic actions including "launching" the vehicles back the through the dealership forecourt windows!!
I appreciate this is only a few of the new 453 owners out there but I was wondering if this small tank "quirk" was making everyone else disappointed with their purchase?
I didn't want to start a new thread as there seems to enough threads regarding tanks/gauges/fuel/fix/sorrow .....
Forgive me for the hijack. You seem like such happy folk.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I'd like to briefly hijack this thread for a moment as it seems to be filled with happy contented 453 owners...Are you not put off by the fuel tank filling "crisis" that has occurred in the U.S? There seems to be none of it here in the UK? I've just recently read about some very drastic actions including "launching" the vehicles back the through the dealership forecourt windows!!
I appreciate this is only a few of the new 453 owners out there but I was wondering if this small tank "quirk" was making everyone else disappointed with their purchase?
I didn't want to start a new thread as there seems to enough threads regarding tanks/gauges/fuel/fix/sorrow .....
I can't speak much about the UK, but it's been a long going thing in the States that smart doesn't seem to care much about their product in terms support and exposure....Most of the dealerships that DO sell smart treat the smart clientele as second class citizens. The main headquarters in the States is very difficult to get responses from....Maybe it's better overseas...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yea... but there still aren't really any cars here in the US that are THAT close to the Smart's size that it'd be mistaken for anything but a Smart. Fiat's are still quite big, as are Spark's.

As far as attention.... i will say there was MORE when i had my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe than I've noticed now with my '16 Prime.... but it's not entirely unexpected. The more the car is around, the more people figure out what it is. I've had some people asking me questions about it here and there.... several just saying "Nice car" and moving on.... not really any negativity (that i've been able to hear).
I had a 2013 Yellow Smart 451. It drew stares and comments where ever I went for three years. Now have had a black and silver Prime for six months. It must be invisible. No stares. No comments. Must be mainstream.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am happy with my 435, I have only filled it up once so far and it wasn't completely empty so I can't really judge how much fuel I can put in the tank so far, it seemed like a reasonable amount for what the fuel gauge was saying. I have noticed that it takes quite a few miles of driving for the fuel gauge to move at all from full and then it seems to drop very quickly, but as long as I know how it acts I can deal with that. I do hope they fix the gauge/tank issue but I knew about it before I bought the car so it wasn't a huge concern for me. I also bought the car because of its "character". I mean you don't go out and buy an old Triumph or MG because you think it will run perfectly and while smarts are much more reliable than those cars I don't expect them to be perfect. Maybe, after I have owned the car longer, something will really start to drive me mad, but for now I am quite happy :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am happy with my 435, I have only filled it up once so far and it wasn't completely empty so I can't really judge how much fuel I can put in the tank so far, it seemed like a reasonable amount for what the fuel gauge was saying. I have noticed that it takes quite a few miles of driving for the fuel gauge to move at all from full and then it seems to drop very quickly, but as long as I know how it acts I can deal with that. I do hope they fix the gauge/tank issue but I knew about it before I bought the car so it wasn't a huge concern for me. I also bought the car because of its "character". I mean you don't go out and buy an old Triumph or MG because you think it will run perfectly and while smarts are much more reliable than those cars I don't expect them to be perfect. Maybe, after I have owned the car longer, something will really start to drive me mad, but for now I am quite happy :)
You have a 435?? Is that US only? Just kidding. You're absolutely right though. "Most' people buy these cars because of their character. They are fun quirky and surprisingly good little cars. Their long production history is proof of this. In fact I've been following the attitudes of you North American and Canadian owners with genuine curiosity. We've had them here in the UK and of course Europe in vast quantities for many years and I couldn't help feeling excited for you and with you as the new model arrived on your shores, helped along with my own purchase of the new cabrio earlier this year. The general curiosity from non owners has long gone from these shores but sadly the stupid comments remain, much like the ones that you yourselves experience. I'm just more than a little disappointed that filling the tank a little more frequently has overshadowed how fantastic these little cars are for some owners on this forum and that it seems to be a REALLY big deal! Thats all :shrug:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Having to fill the tank just about twice a week (60 mile round-trip commute to work 5 days a week....) doesn't really bother me. Always loved Smart's. Loved my '09 Brabus Coupe.... HATED my previous car ('13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T)... and now back in a Smart with my 453 Prime. Just no car more fun to drive. Yea, it'd be nice if i could get 8 gallons in the tank and experience going 300+ miles like i did in the 451 without even thinking about it compared to usually getting to 250 miles by the time there's half a gallon left.... but it's not enough to make me hate the car. Can't speak for those who have a hard time even getting close to that number, though...

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Give it some time! I wasn't overly thrilled with my gas usage when I first got my 2008 smart, but after around 30K miles, it started getting better . I could only guess it was due to the Mobil 1 not letting the rings and valves seat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts