Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in sunny, generally warm mid-NC it's going to be 7 degrees Mon night Tues morning. Plus wind chill. Know you guys and gals up north take it in stride but here......worked all afternoon getting the brass monkeys inside.:D

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
It went from 2 degrees to 27 degrees today, here in central New Jersey. We had an ice rain alert for most of the day. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Saturday it went from 34 at 5 am to 7 at noon. Today it has been below zero all day. High was about -1...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Checked tire pressures in both cars - cold tends to make things shrink (shades of George Costanza - Seinfeld episode). Not sure if the cold causes air in tires to "shrink" and we get lower pressure or if little gaps form and we lose air, but everything was low. My smart told me with the TPMS, but my wife has a Scion and no TPMS. Topped up air pressure.

She has to park outside at work, so I put her car on a battery tender to top up the charge. Not sure the percentage of charge you lose when the temps are negative (F), but not taking chances. Put jumper cables in her back seat as an added precaution. Just found out her school is closed tomorrow (she's a teacher) so we get an extra day on the charger with the car sitting in the garage. Tomorrow isn't the worst of the cold, just the combination of cold and snow. Next day is the real cold.

Gas tanks are at 3/4 or better.

Not sure what else to do other than stay home and under the covers.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
Checked engine coolant low temp protection, put in some low temp washer fluid and cycled it thru the nozzles to get out the cheap stuff, and then found a creative way to stuff 3 cars in a smallish 2 car garage. :)

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
My. Smart is still in Beaumont but Jim's is here in Lincoln. It's already -6 and supposed to hit -9 by morning. windchill's of -35. We winterized all our vehicles before we moved here including windshield washer. So they should be OK. I did notice that Little Blue's TPMS thinks there is at least one low tire.

Jim went and bought a coat for Shiloh our 11 yr old lab for when she needs to go out. Pepper already has one. They stay out just long enough to do their business. The two of them are southerners.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Checked tire pressures in both cars - cold tends to make things shrink (shades of George Costanza - Seinfeld episode).
Not sure what else to do other than stay home and under the covers.
I could give you a few hints of what to do under those covers :eek: but you probably don't need them. :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Update on my "readiness."
I went out to the garage to take the smart on an errand and got the rurrr rurr rurr but no start. I guess I should have moved the battery tender over to the smart once my wife's car was topped up. First time I have had to get into the battery compartment - not the easiest thing peeling back the carpet and getting the panel up. Now I have the two black clips in the cup holder because I can't seem to manage to get them back where they came from. But, the battery is topped up and I'm back on the road.
Another side effect was that my ScanGauge lit but had no text on the display. I don't know if it was the cold, but after I unplugged it and plugged it back it, it was fine.
Next winter - a second battery tender is on my shopping list. Off to have the snow tires put on Saturday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts