Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change the plugs..

I reviewed some of the posts regarding the challenges when changing the far right side plug (2009 Smart)

I would like to know or point me in the right direction of what I should be using to make this easier.

I've read about using the tubing to re-thread the new plugs and I may run out and buy 1/4in drive (I have 3/8 drives)

Also I ordered from advanced auto the denso IXUH22 Iridium Power plugs based on the car specs I entered on their website. Anyone else using these?

I've read posts on use of the insert in the sparkplug socket, some use it some don't...comments?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not for the faint hearted...

I'm getting ready to change the plugs..

I reviewed some of the posts regarding the challenges when changing the far right side plug (2009 Smart)

I would like to know or point me in the right direction of what I should be using to make this easier.

I've read about using the tubing to re-thread the new plugs and I may run out and buy 1/4in drive (I have 3/8 drives)

Also I ordered from advanced auto the denso IXUH22 Iridium Power plugs based on the car specs I entered on their website. Anyone else using these?

I've read posts on use of the insert in the sparkplug socket, some use it some don't...comments?
The Denso Iridiums are great.

I got tired of having to "feel" and make sure that the plugs are precisely threaded into the spark plug hole. Hole sawed through the body at a precise straight angle in line to the plug hole. Aahhh... how simple now:).

Plan to do a better cosmetic paint job later and a better photogenic hole cover. :eek:

cheers...

·
Registered
338 Posts
3/8 works fine if you have the correct size extension. Rubber hose trick works great for starting plugs in the blind holes. It's a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
318 Posts
OMG.... I can't believe you cut holes in your car to get to the plugs....

I used a 3/8" Drive ratchet, 6" extension and a magnetic spark plug socket. Had zero problems removing the plugs. Yes, the last one is a tight fit but it can be done, takes me about 20 min to remove and install new plugs.

I used the socket w/extension to put the plugs back in and start threading... again it's a tight fit but it is doable...The good ol' hose trick works too.

1/4" tools work well to remove the coilpack hold down bolt.

I've done it 3 times now, it works.

I personally am not a fan of Iridiums, they ware out quick and serve no benefit to the car.
Get a plane ol' set of NGK Spark plugs (The normal style you know), look up how to side gap your plugs (or ask and I can help) and you'll be a very happy camper... Save a good chunk of money too.

Jetfuel knows what I'm talkin' about.

I would also put a dab of dielectric grease on the top of the plug... help the boot from sticking upon next removal.

There is my input.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
r/r spark plugs:

I used a 5" long 5/8" 3/8 drive spark plug socket that I ordered from Summit Racing. Works great and no extensions are needed, so you don't have to worry about trying to fish your spark plug socket out of the spark plug recess in the engine. The extra long socket is the perfect length as the top protrudes just enough so you can start threading the spark plug by hand. Number one spark plug is a little difficult to remove the 10mm coil retaining bolt and to r/r the spark plug, but it could be a lot worse.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Spark plugs aren't even THAT difficult to change on this car. If you're having trouble, expanding your toolset will make things easier. I'm shocked somebody believed drilling new holes would make things easy. I am impressed though nevertheless.

·
17,351 Posts
OMG.... I can't believe you cut holes in your car to get to the plugs....
Yeah, please don't cut holes (which will rust btw) in your Tridion Cell! With the right tools it really isn't hard at all.

Shoot, waxing the car is harder than swapping plugs. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts