Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as we all know there are two "Smart Centers" in MA - Somerville and Lynnefield.

When I took my 2008 Passion in a few months ago they said I would need new brakes and rotors in the front and the back AND four new tires. And what was the estimate for total work done ....drum roll please $2,000!

This seems a little crazy to me - I know it is a Mercedes dealer but really?!?!

Is that a legit estimate or can someone here tell me of a non-Smart Center mechanic that can do this work for me and I can trust it is done right?

HELP!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brakes and Tires are pretty straightforward stuff.

Any competent mechanic will be able to do that, as long as they can safely get the Smart on their lift.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you have a floor jack, you can do the brakes yourself. They're very... very simple. Rear drums are very doable, too... but might want someone to supervise your first time. Go to Discount Tire or some place like that for your tires. Tires... $500 max. Front brakes, maybe $200 in parts max (Doable for $100). Not sure on rear (haven't had to do mine in 62000 miles yet). $700 max. The rest is all labor. Not only will you save money, you'll surprise yourself how easy it is, and be very proud that you did it yourself!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts