Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my partner decided to replace the battery on our 2006 Smartfortwo Pure since it's been an extremely cold winter here -30C to -50C since he did this the radio won't work, I get this display when I turn it on that says "safe mode". Now the airbag icon is lighting up on my dashboard. It tells me in my manual to take my car to the dealership but the dealership here that does the servicing for Smart cars is very good at providing lousy service. To site the most recent example we had our car in for two wrench service, they had to order in belts so car went back (two times they ordered wrong parts). After it was left at the dealership for several days we we're called to come get it was ready. We get there it wouldn't start. It had been left outside -28C overnight unplugged. They boosted it ( during that process they broke the foam hatch covers or the battery and never told us. We discovered this a few weeks later when we decided to change the battery. We contacted Mercedes they advised us they would investigate. The extent of that was a phone call from the dealer "saying we understand you're unhappy with our service". Like they hadn't already been told this on more then one occasion. The list of trouble we've had with them goes on. Our hands are tied here as no one else services Smart cars and the next closest dealership for service is out of province which is an 8 hour drive during good weather conditions. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
Moved to the 450 forums for better exposure. :)

Check out Club Smart Car if you haven't already. Not sure what part of Ontario you're in but Glenn (smart142) in the London area is the go to guy for the 450 diesels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info. Unfortunately I'm way up north (Thunder Bay) in the land of the sleeping giant. I'm about 20 hrs drive from London, ON

·
Registered
449 Posts
Unfortunately for clearing an airbag light, you need special diagnostic tools (Star Diagnostics). If there is an independent garage around who works on Mercedes, they may have the necessary equipment to clear the light.

Generally, the dealers across Canada are bad with their customer relations towards smart owners, and the attitude is usually "Too bad, who else are you going to take it to?".

Here's the Club smart Car list of independent service options across Canada. Unfortunately, there aren't all that many listed, and those that are, aren't near you.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Fairly certain M-B service of smarts is equally horrible everywhere. The dealers destroyed my foam block as well.

The airbag light is likely bad wiring under the seat. But you will need someone with a STAR machine to clear the fault code.

Is there anyone in the area that works on M-Bs or other European cars? Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
You should have the radio code on a card that came with the car's owner's manual pouch. If not, the dealer will provide the code for free upon proof of ownership and VIN info.

The airbag light will not go off as others noted, and my bet is it's a bad contact related to the extreme cold.

Unfortunately the dealer service can be spotty; it's great on Vancouver Island but that won't help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts