Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I plan to attend this August.
We'd like the prices, registration, Places to stay, all of it.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I have been to two Dragons thus far.
First time (2012) I stayed at the Microtel in Robertsville (about 30-40 min from Fontana Village
Last year (2013) I stayed at Fontana Village. (This is where everything starts from and where most folks stay)
I would STRONGLY suggest staying at Fontana, you get a much better experience and meet more people during the "down" time.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Make sure you are getting the "Outsmarting the Dragon 2014" Rate?

The Great Leaders (All Hail the Great and Magnanamous Leaders) have negotiated on our behalf to keep the price down.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've been to the OTD 3years and intend to be there this year as well. Fontana has a lodge, cabins and campground, I've done the lodge twice and the campground once. Fontana is definitely the way to go for the whole experience, Robbinsville might be cheaper but it is far enough away to cause you to miss some of the fun (or sleep). You'll want to take some of the planned outings for sure, I'm partial to the 2 caves nearby. The scenic rides are great, you could spend the day just driving through the beautiful locale. The 'Dragon itself is a test of your driving skill, don't forget to smile for the photogs as you go through it.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
I've been three time. Twice with my hubby and we camped at Fontana's campground. This last year I went with a fellow smartie and stayed at the lodge. I enjoyed both tea. I also recommend staying at Fontana so you can experience the whole thing including The Mad Wrapper.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still firmly planning to attend at this date. Sounding better and better.
How hard is the dragon to drive for an average driver?:)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Speed limit for the dragon is 35 mph, one lane each direction. As long as you don't overspeed your driving skills it's fun to drive. Yes there has been some deaths but from what I've read they've been motorcyclists doing speed runs. I've been driving for 48 years and would say this is the most fun road I've driven on but don't consider it treacherous under normal conditions. Granted there's a little risk but that's true in life isn't it?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...if you really want to experience the Dragon you need to do the " late" run...the waaaaaay after midnight run....just one rule....you hit the brakes and you go to the back of the line...

Jetfuel...oh...what a blast it is....

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
My wife and I plan to attend this August.
We'd like the prices, registration, Places to stay, all of it.
Thanks
Have you joined our Facebook page yet.. that's where all the most up to date info is posted. And yes the official page will be up soon and registration will start the beginning of April.

Registration is normally $30 (single) and $45 (driver & passenger) and includes 2 dinners, a goodie bag, and other misc stuffs, as well as help with our overhead (such as the pavilion rental and group pictures).

We also offer bagged lunches and t-shirts for additional costs, but all that will be on the website soon.

Alison (one of the great and powerful organizers :D )

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do not use facebook, so if critical information could be posted here, it would be most helpful to some. Thanks!

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
I do not use facebook, so if critical information could be posted here, it would be most helpful to some. Thanks!
Don't worry... Once we get registration up I will be starting a new thread with all the information that is needed, and will answer any questions that anyone has. You can either reply to this thread, the new one (once I post it), or send me a PM.

We'll make sure you get the information one way or another. :)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
The place gets booked up with foliage watchers during October & November.
Yes! Imagine that so many people would want to be there at the best time of the year to visit. Not to mention that the weather is MUCH better.

Count me as one of them. So, reserve early. Sadly, I am alone in this vision so far as our rally is concerned. Bah, humbug.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts