Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like last year, I wanted to make a thread about hotels and lodging in the Watkins Glen area to give folks an idea regarding who is staying where; and when, and why.

Now that we've gotten the trial run out of the way, who liked their choices last year and who would make changes? Any strong recommendations or reviews? Any places one should reconsider?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm pretty set on staying at the state park. Seems to be the most economical way of doing things. I'm more of a tent camping person, but the other half loves her creature comforts. Would anybody be willing or interested in splitting a Cabin for Friday and Saturday night? It looks like its 50 a night for the cabin, and they sleep six. Two parking spots included. I'll call the park and see what they say on doubling up on parking since we'd be able to with our cars. I PM'd one user about this, hoping to see if more are interested.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to replies. If nobody is interested, I'll just end up booking a standard campsite.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just heard back from Watkins Glen. Their rules on parking are strict. Two cars per site, regardless of size. They enforce this with motorcycles as well. Additional vehicles have to pay an additional $8 per night and park "off site" whatever that means.

Oh well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, turns out my mother and I will be staying in a cabin at the state park. We will be in cabin 123C. We were thinking, what if those of us that would be staying at the state park, all got together one night, and had a big cookout and just BSed around the fire? Anyone that's staying at the state park, feel free to come over to our cabin. We plan on getting some burgers and dogs, and throwing them on the grill. Bring your own drinks if you want, and maybe your own burgers and dogs (depending on how many of us there will be, and what our travel budget is looking like) and come on over.

We are checking in on July 11th, and checking out on July 15th. So, it looks like we'll be the first of the group there, and the last of the group to leave :rolleyes: , but figured we would make it into a mini vacation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
109C for us, 12th-15th. :D

Zweigles or Hoffmans are the only dog brands we'll eat. Both must be pop-open. We'll bring our own, unless you say you're picking up some of either.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, turns out my mother and I will be staying in a cabin at the state park. We will be in cabin 123C. We were thinking, what if those of us that would be staying at the state park, all got together one night, and had a big cookout and just BSed around the fire? Anyone that's staying at the state park, feel free to come over to our cabin. We plan on getting some burgers and dogs, and throwing them on the grill. Bring your own drinks if you want, and maybe your own burgers and dogs (depending on how many of us there will be, and what our travel budget is looking like) and come on over.

We are checking in on July 11th, and checking out on July 15th. So, it looks like we'll be the first of the group there, and the last of the group to leave :rolleyes: , but figured we would make it into a mini vacation.
If you'd like to make your own thread regarding the idea in this Watkins Glen section, please feel free to do so. Maybe we can get the idea out there. If everyone contributes a little something, we could have a veritable feast!! It'd be funny to gather all our Smarts on one site, but they may not like that very much, huh?? :p

I think I may just do a cabin and make a nice weekend out of it. Turns out the Utica Boilermaker 15K Road Race is the Sunday of that weekend, but I'm certainly not going to be running. I make an excellent spectator, but you can only clap, cheer and sit for so long.

109C for us, 12th-15th. :D

Zweigles or Hoffmans are the only dog brands we'll eat. Both must be pop-open. We'll bring our own, unless you say you're picking up some of either.
I would take part in a good cookout. Not much is better than a good cheeseburger. Not so much of a hotdog guy, but burgers and dogs are an excellent combo. I'd stock up on chips and other snacks if people are interested.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like everything is taken for Saturday, so I guess a cabin is out of my reach unless I hit a cancellation! I just may do a tent, because it looks really nice there. I love camping, but if my parents decide to join in on the weekend, we won't be there.

My lodging is still up on the air, but I'd like to see this camping get-together happen. I'd definitely stop in to visit either way!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Looks like everything is taken for Saturday, so I guess a cabin is out of my reach unless I hit a cancellation!
I suspect that "off-site" just means down in the main lot, so you could stay in one of the already booked cabins with other smarties... Except for those that bring a smart and something bigger, none of us will have full cabins.

Personally, I still have two beds open.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone hasn't been following the cookout thread, AndyT turned over Watkins Glen State Park, Cabin 123C for me to have July 12th-14th. :) So pumped for year #2!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts