Smart Car of America Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I was watching the Glenn Beck program today which I usually do at 5:00 when I'm not working and as I was watching it, he inserted a snide comment about smart cars. As a good fan of his (please let this not be a right versus left flame war), I was disappointed that his program does all of this research every day for his show and fail to do even the slightest bit of research on how safe and smart our cars are.

What do you guys think? I think that it is sad that he is jumping to conclusions to something he has no idea about. I hope to maybe one day talk to him about the reality of how smart these cars are since he made fun of smart cars twice on his program to date.

Here is the link: Glenn Beck - Videos

It starts at around :20.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Not so much that he hates smart cars, but that he hates other people telling or dictating what he should drive.

He did call them crappy and unsafe, though!! :(

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so much that he hates smart cars, but that he hates other people telling or dictating what he should drive.

He did call them crappy and unsafe, though!! :(
You are right in a sense that he hates other people telling or dictating what he should drive, but the fact that he said that they are crappy and unsafe leads me to believe that he does in fact hate smart cars.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe he and his producers aren't all that good a research after all. possible.
Very possible. They could have skipped the research on the smart car and Glenn allowed himself to fall into the trap of the common people's mentality that the car is crappy and unsafe and not smart and all of the other jargon. This is the second time he made a bad remark about our cars and is starting to show that Glenn believes that Al Gore is making us drive a smart car because the only good thing about the smart car is the economy according to him (and with my lead foot, that is the last reason why I drive it).

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I used to find GB interesting and thought provoking. He doesn't like World Football and insulted it. Need I say more.
I never cared for anyone that insults what others enjoy.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to find GB interesting and thought provoking. He doesn't like World Football and insulted it. Need I say more.
I never cared for anyone that insults what others enjoy.
I agree with you. I played soccer for more than eight years of my life and found it to be a very fun exercise that my father also used to play. He does take jabs at what others enjoy and I do dislike that about him.

For those who like soccer and have not seen him dislike the World Cup, here is the clip:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Very possible. They could have skipped the research on the smart car and Glenn allowed himself to fall into the trap of the common people's mentality that the car is crappy and unsafe and not smart and all of the other jargon. This is the second time he made a bad remark about our cars and is starting to show that Glenn believes that Al Gore is making us drive a smart car because the only good thing about the smart car is the economy according to him (and with my lead foot, that is the last reason why I drive it).
How dare you insult the common man? Never use him and mentality in the same conversation. This is the guy who researches nothing he says. He shoots from the hip, and usually misses the target. He's is the embodiment of a talking head with no facts to back his rhetoric. I wish him nothing but the worst.

But I digress.

IBTL

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I was not trying to insult the common man. What I meant by that was the person who draws conclusions without knowing what they were talking about and just saying it was unsafe to make themselves feel right without doing any research (99% of my old High School).

The "but I digress" is the best line ever.

And maybe it is me, but what would be a reason to lock this thread?

Again, not bashing anybody's opinions, but facts should be presented instead of calling smart's crappy and unsafe. He said his point, and this thread was meant for a "response" to what he said.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Well, I think this Beck guy is a moron for calling the smart "crappy."

However, his main point wasn't on the smart per se, but on people who have taken steps to tax the heck out of any cars that do not comply with their preferred fuel efficiency by 2016.

I, for one, think people have should have a right to buy a 50 MPG car if they wish to and to buy a 7 MPG car also, if they wish to, and that they should not be unfairly taxed just because of their choice.

I mean, if Ashton Kutcher wants to drive his 7 MPG Navistar CXT around the Los Angeles streets, more power to him! :)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Looking at the Video, his smart car comments were NOT off the Cuff. Nothing is off the cuff if you have the video cued up and ready to play behind you when you speak.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with both of you. I should have the privilege to drive any car that I want without extra taxes being applied for whatever my choice would be.

You are right forest...they weren't off the cuff seeing as how he had the video cued up. Maybe he has a beef with smart cars since he called them out twice with non-factual information?

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Tax on choice of car is just plainly unfair...period...

As for Glenn Beck, he's just like the rest of those political TV guys, they all at some point said something bad towards the smart...It seems none of them (on either side) likes them.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Non factual information is the Glenn Beck way.

Remember, he's the guy who said the president is a racist.

Is that even possible?

Seeing as he is biracial, that would make him self loathing.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Non factual information is the Glenn Beck way.

Remember, he's the guy who said the president is a racist.

Is that even possible?

Seeing as he is biracial, that would make him self loathing.
I just imagined him giving a State of the Union Address and suddenly bashing himself...:rofl:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.