Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Smart car finally proving to be a smart investment?

Tim Reuss, Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche and all the company brass are, in fact, arguing for a Smart future in a warming world of increasingly congested cities.

Zetsche says the Smart brand in 2014 is at the leading edge of major mobility trends. Half the world now lives in cities, and the number of city dwellers is growing by 180,000 daily. They’re not all going to ride transit or bicycles; many will want a car.
Bill Ford cited these trends in his recent Wall Street Journal piece:

With a growing global population and greater prosperity, the number of vehicles on the road could exceed two billion by midcentury. Combine this with a continuing population shift toward cities, with a projected 54% of the global population in cities by 2050, and it becomes clear that our current transportation model is not sustainable. Our infrastructure cannot support such a large volume of vehicles without creating massive congestion that would have serious consequences for our environment, health, economic progress and quality of life.
We live in the Richmond/Hampton Roads/Washington DC/Baltimore conurbation. The massive congestion has begun, with 225 mile trips regularly taking 6, 7 and 8.5 hours. It can be... disheartening.

But hey, adapt or perish.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
We live in the Richmond/Hampton Roads/Washington DC/Baltimore conurbation. The massive congestion has begun, with 225 mile trips regularly taking 6, 7 and 8.5 hours. It can be... disheartening.

But hey, adapt or perish.
Hence why I live in a nice, quiet, little town in NE Indiana... My 44 mile commute each way to work takes me about 55 minutes...:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts