Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I wouldn’t expect 300 or more miles per tank in the 453. Plus or minus 260 is more the normal range with maybe 1 bar remaining at fill up. My year average is 41-42 mpg and that’s with a performance boost module. Much depends on load, speed and terrain traveled. Summer average is lower because of AC use and winter average is higher. Traveling at a steady 40-50 mph, level ground and light pressure on the pedal will produce mpg in the 50s in a 453. I once saw 62 mpg for a short distance

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
For the record, I usually get 225 to 250 miles out of a tank on my 453, and I drive with A/C mostly on.
On my 22 mile commute each morning, I seem to get 40+ MPG and one rare day, I saw 51.2 (not sure how I did it):

Automotive design Gauge Font Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
149 Posts
For the record, I usually get 225 to 250 miles out of a tank on my 453, and I drive with A/C mostly on.
On my 22 mile commute each morning, I seem to get 40+ MPG and one rare day, I saw 51.2 (not sure how I did it):
I've gotten over 50 mpg very rarely, but notice that the trip computer/mileage of off almost always. Try an app called "FillUp" get keep track of actual MPG.
Font Screenshot Technology Rectangle Number

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I wouldn’t expect 300 or more miles per tank in the 453. Plus or minus 260 is more the normal range with maybe 1 bar remaining at fill up. My year average is 41-42 mpg and that’s with a performance boost module. Much depends on load, speed and terrain traveled. Summer average is lower because of AC use and winter average is higher. Traveling at a steady 40-50 mph, level ground and light pressure on the pedal will produce mpg in the 50s in a 453. I once saw 62 mpg for a short distance
I have only used the AC twice this whole summer and on highway I always see 49.5 or more if speed limit is 55 or higher.
In town it ranges between 32-38,depending on if I catch lights etc.
Since I am paying about $3.50 per gallon for premium, I am hoping to get a little better mileage.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I have only used the AC twice this whole summer and on highway I always see 49.5 or more if speed limit is 55 or higher.
In town it ranges between 32-38,depending on if I catch lights etc.
Since I am paying about $3.50 per gallon for premium, I am hoping to get a little better mileage.
you have to figure gas mileage by the average. Not Instant mileage, of 49.5. Next time you fill up your car. reset the mileage computer on you car. And the mileage trip counter. Drive the car near empty, check your mileage computer, for the average fuel economy. How many miles you driven, since that last fuel fill up.

This is only example. You can figure it the old fashion way. The tank doesn’t to be empty. Take the mileage you driven since the last fill up. Example 320 mile, fill up you tank at the gas station. Let’s say it holds 7.5 gallon. Take 320, divide it by 7.5. You will be 42.6 miles per gallon. City/Highway.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
I get about 280-300 miles out of each tank in my 453. Keep in mind that the 453s had an annoying fuel tank issue in the early days, so gauging things purely on mileage between fills doesn't really work here.

What I instead do is take the miles driven on what my car thinks is a tank of fuel and divide by the number of gallons it takes to fill it back up. I can then check that against the car's computer. Keep track over time and you should get a solid understanding of your fuel economy.

Most people should see mid-30s. I get about 42 mpg in my 453.

There's not a whole lot you can do to squeeze out more mpg without getting extreme. We've had members clean up their car's aero with different bits and pieces and we've had others drive long distances at relatively slow speeds. One guy that used to come to the Midwest rallies used to drive so slow that he had to leave super early, and even then he was often late.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just got down to four bars so I filled it up again and it took 4 more gallons and I divided the gallons into the mileage I had so far , which was 182miles and that should mean I will get about 315 miles on 7 gallons,since I will not wait till the car says "get gas now" lol
At least that is one way they say to find out miles per gallon....so I am happy with that and since I do not hot rod or take off fast and drive reasonable, that should be what I get....

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
295 Posts
The first half of my tank (according to the gauge) goes slowly.
The balance, disappears far more quickly.
Half a tank (per the bars) does not mean half the capacity, nor the feed rate.

Just sayin'

Jim

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The first half of my tank (according to the gauge) goes slowly.
The balance, disappears far more quickly.
Half a tank (per the bars) does not mean half the capacity, nor the feed rate.

Just sayin'

Jim
Hate to say this but my first half disappears real fast for me.....I seem to have the second half longer.
Also I have a receipt for when I filled it up after having only one bar and it said it took almost 7 gallons...so I would assume that last bar was the 8th gallon or so.....I will see what miles I get on this full tank....

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Your math seems to check out to me. 182 miles on 4 gallons is 45.5 mpg, which is very possible in a 453. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Your math seems to check out to me. 182 miles on 4 gallons is 45.5 mpg, which is very possible in a 453. :)
Hi Miss Mercedes, long time....I think some of my gas mileage is attributed to the area I drive, there is only one hill I have to drive on in order to get to where I am going. Every where else is flat and most of the speed limits are 35-45.
Saw three Smart cars yesterday, one pretty blue and maybe a 2008 and one white with black, at an office near me,spoke to him and he has had it for 8 years and he loves it and his only vehicle.
Last one I saw was at a Ford dealership and it was a twin to mine...it had 36,000miles,and they wanted almost $10,000...wish I could have bought that one also LOL.
Hope you have a great day!!!!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts