Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 35%, limit is 50% in MN.

How do I get out of it?

I am going to say I bought it that way and they told me it was legal.

·
Registered
590 Posts
honesty=best policy.

just own it, dude.

maybe the judge will be impressed by a show of character...and cut you some slack.

and then go get those widows fixed-up with the proper shade of tint...

·
Registered
861 Posts
innocent until proven guilty...deny everything....deny everything! as the great punk band the Circle Jerks would say.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Good Luck!! Most shops warn you that the percent of tint you want is illegal. In most states, there is a requirement for shops to advise customers of the law before performing the work. There may have also been a legal disclaimer on your receipt.

·
Registered
590 Posts
innocent until proven guilty...deny everything....deny everything! as the great punk band the Circle Jerks would say.
he said "Circle Jerk"... huh, huh...yeah..."Jerk"

I prefer quoting the immortal d boone (of the minutemen):

"We are responsible..."

anyway...ultimately it's your choice, mnext02...do what you will...peace be with you...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anybody can sell you anything legal or not! Most tint shops will notify you what is allowed in your state, however as an "adult" it's your responsiblity to know the laws of your state. You obviously knew what you were doing when you got the tint. The shop doesn't care, they're not the ones stuck with the ticket, you are! They got their money from you and now the state will be getting some too!

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I personally would say that its for privacy and that the smart car simply gets to much attention. In my opinion I feel the tinted windows helps avoid many safety concern that I have of other drivers looking in my car rather then concentrating on their driving.

BTW - I'm amazed you got a ticket for it. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
344 Posts

How do I get out of it?

Damn!:mad: The guy who tinted mine said almost everyone chooses 35%(what I have) since it looks like the 50%! How/why did they pull you over and how much was the ticket? That SUCKS! It gets and currently is HOT up here and 35% isn`t that dark! Hope it works out for you, keep us posted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the factory tint of the windows? 35% + factory may exceed the legal limit.
I feel the tinted windows helps avoid many safety concern that I have of other drivers looking in my car
Sucks from this side, as I would like to know if you are looking at me when you are about to turn right... in front of me!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did the officer test the car with a tint meter?

If not, it's like saying "It looked like you were going really fast, like 100 mph in a 65 zone, here's your ticket"

Even saying you purchased 35% doesn't mean that's what you actually have.

Is there a marking in your window that says 35%?

Here's your Minnesota law . . .
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=169.71

I came across this too . . .

HometownSource.com - Ask a Trooper

State troopers are trained to use window tint meters
Q: I've searched the statutes and ?'s on your page but I can't find the answer to my question. I know the 50% visibility on window tinting. But my question is how do troopers LEGALLY tell you without a window meter that your tint is illegal?

Lori,
Monticello, MN

Lori,

We do have tint meters. They are legal. We are trained to use them. The courts accept them. Also, if your window tint does not have the required markings showing the light transmittance, etc. then we don't need a meter to know that it is not legal. FYI, when we see a window that looks too dark and measure it, we are almost always correct.

Sgt. Curt S. Mowers
Public Information Office
MN State Patrol

Futures so bright, i gotta wear :cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do I get out of it?
It is too late for you this time, but for future reference, go to this website and buy the book "Adventures in Legal Land" here.

Read the book thoroughly once. Then go back and read it again, but this time with pen in hand and a notepad by your side. When you think you understand the basic concepts, go back to the website and bring yourself up to date on the latest developments. Order the appropriate script if you have just been ticketed and get ready for some fun.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

How do I get out of it?

perhaps i don't understand, if the limit is 50% and you only have 35% then what's the issue?

the state will have to make it's case that you exceed the limit. this is done by presenting evidence. if what you say is true, then the charge cannot be proven.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.