Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and I've read through the sticky posts about what to look for in a pre-owned Smart. Is there a thread about what to look for mechanically? I will be going on Monday 8/13 to test drive a 2013 Passion Brabus with 48,000 miles. Carfax comes back clean and the price is negotiable. It's a one owner car and so far the pics, about 20 of them look really good. What else should I be looking for and what would be a fair price?

·
Registered
108 Posts
KBB-NAPA-Edmunds

Kelly Blue Book,NAPA,and Edmunds,all give sale value quotes for private party,retail(from dealer)and wholesale(to dealer) in
your area.....................

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a bit of searching and the asking price is a bit high compared to NADA or Kelly BB, but when it comes to other Smarts either at sales lots or private, this price is actually low.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
I will be going on Monday 8/13 to test drive a 2013 Passion Brabus with 48,000 miles. Carfax comes back clean and the price is negotiable.
Bear in mind that there are many MY13 Passions, few true Brabus making them more attractive to those who know the difference.

Side note, the VIN will label it a Passion with no Brabus notation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please explain what a true Brabus is? In the pics of the car, it shows a Brabus on the front grill and rear trunk, a "B" gas filler cover and also the rims.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. One more thing to look for. From what the pictures show the rear tire is larger than the front. Is the engine HP or markings any different than a regular Smart?

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Give us the VIN and one of us will check your factory data card.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Data card shows it as a Brabus. See option A10.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles
Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

They are asking $7,700.00 out the door, with tax, tag, title transfer. It also has 4 new tires and a recent oil change. I'll be checking the car over very closely. Do you think that is a fair price?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe it is fair if you want to keep the car. Bluebook is never that strong with our smarts. I paid more for my 2013 tailormade cocoa brabus a little while back but I know I am keeping it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I believe it is fair if you want to keep the car. Bluebook is never that strong with our smarts. I paid more for my 2013 tailormade cocoa Brabus a little while back but I know I am keeping it.
The dealership that has it has some very good reviews by 1,2 and sometimes 3 repeat customers. They told me I can have one of the mechanics put it up on a lift if I want and I plan on doing that. If it checks out well, I will make an offer lower than that of say $7,500.00 cash deal OTD. I really appreciate your input and if purchased I'll take some pics. I do have to admit I live 105 miles from the dealership and I'm a bit timid about driving it home as a part of the drive will be interstate and through a major city. I will be having my wife tucked up right behind me in our new F-150 :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
my first smart was a 2009 that I bought after test driving it down the street. I bought it in 2015 and it had 90k miles on it. Used car dealer over an hour away from my house with all maintenance records. There is nothing to be worried about in terms of driving it home aside from getting used to transmission shifts. The car with such low mileage should be perfectly fine. My current 2013 has 48k miles. Ive put on about half of that in 2 years. Throw the seat back, start it up, and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts