Smart Car of America Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
See you at the Wharton Center.
Actually, if you see me, either something has gone horribly wrong with the show, or you snuck in before the theatre managers have opened the house. :eek:

But I know what you meant. I'm sure looking forward to being back in my home theatre, and we're there the week of my birthday, yet.

I suspect some beers will be consumed.....

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
The wife and I are leaving for Middle Earth (New Zealand) tomorrow, so we'll be walkin' about down under for a couple of weeks on a Lord of the Rings tour of the country. We'll also be in Wellington for the premier of The Hobbit. I'm sure I'll have lots of photos and video to share when we get back. :)

So, I'll be on extended leave from the asylum for a little while.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
...have a great time...
....we will keep an eye on your room and have the lights dimmed for you when you get back...

Jetfuel....still walking about...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Just checking in briefly to let everyone know that we made it to NZ without incident. The tour officially starts tonight, but we did some sightseeing today on a volcanic island off the coast. I'm going to get some photos uploaded when I have a few minutes and access to do so.

Lots of small cars here. The new Suzuki Swift as well as the Splash seem popular along with Nissan Micras, Fiat Puntos, and Mini Coopers. I did get a glimpse of a 450 as it whizzed past, but it must have been imported since smart isn't sold here.

Anyhow, "kia ora!" from New Zealand. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Have you seen the Air New Zealand Hobbit plane yet? :)

Air NZ unveils Hobbit plane - Entertainment - Video - 3 News
Yep, and got a quick photo as it did a low flyby over Wellington during the red carpet event. :) We were in helicopters today (first time) and it was a blast. We were walking through snow on top of a mountain in the morning and a sandy beach in the afternoon.

In smart sightings, I've seen another 450 and a 451 plus a couple forfours today on the south island.

I think photo/video is going to have to wait until I get back and have some time to go through all of it.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Well, we went "there and back again." Just wanted to let everyone know that we're back safe and sound and that I don't want to see the inside of a plane or airport anytime soon.

Here's a few quick pics, in no particular order, until I can go through everything...

Bag End, Hobbitton with our guide, Derek, in full Gandalf attire (the beard is real though)

Wife and I in hobbit attire at the Hobbit Premiere costume party

100 year old coal-fired steamship, TSS Earnslaw (a very nice lake cruiser)

Helicopter flight to mountaintop in Nelson, NZ

Our own hobbit hole

Air New Zealand Hobbit plane Wellington flyover

I need a T-shirt that says, "I stayed at Mount Doom"

A special guest showed up at the costume party, Sir Peter Jackson himself!

Queenstown, NZ after a gondola ride to the top of a neighboring mountain

They'll let just about anyone handle a sword these days (see the smart hat?)

·
Super Moderator
28,785 Posts
Very cool! Looking forward to more photos and info on the trip. The only downside to your trip was being gone while it was Hobbit Week on the Colbert Report (guests included Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Martin Freeman and....Peter Jackson!) :)

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Gone for the Holidays !!!

I'm on my way to Virginia again to be with family. Will be in Gloucester area. Unfortunately, won't be taking our smart :( (Too much stuff for Christmas :))

I just want to wish my "smartie" family a joyous Christmas and Happy New Year :D

I'll be checking in now and then .... but ..... won't be "back" until the 3rd :toot

chief .............. ramblin' on :p

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Not everyone lives or vacations in a metropolis with a cell tower and WiFi on every corner... :wink: And, sometimes, it's just good to be unplugged for a while.
Weather I camping in the Colorado mountain, or on a cruise in Alaska. The technology is still in my pocket. Edge, 3G, 4G, WiFi. Just go on vacation, why announce it? Nice to Facebook photos of your a adventures while on the go.
Each to they own.:)

121 - 140 of 168 Posts