Smart Car of America Forum banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Smark, some of us look forward to vacations without cell phones, ipads or computers. It's nice to unplug from the world and from your job. That's one of the reasons I've loved our trips to Ireland. Most of the B&B's we've stayed in didn't have wifi and in many areas our phones didn't get reception. I look forward to that on our next trip there.

True relaxation with the only worry being which pub to eat dinner at.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I just don't feel the need to announce to the world, and on the internet. I on vacation. Come rob my house. There are folks, that haven't been on here for many months even years. They didn't announce anything. Really why bother. Just my thoughts. Do you really know the people on a forum?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I just don't feel the need to announce to the world, and on the internet. I on vacation. Come rob my house. There are folks, that haven't been on here for many months even years. They didn't announce anything. Really why bother. Just my thoughts. Do you really know the people on a forum?
Many of us DO know many of the others - from gatherings local and otherwise. Do you seek to understand why some choose to say "Hey, I'll be gone a while, don't worry, talk to you when I get back"? Or do you just wish to state your opinion that this is a useless thread? The former is welcomed. The latter is off-topic, and best left unstated.
To the former (seek enlightenment) - I know of at least one case where a sudden lack of participation from one member caused concern with several others, and for good reason. The resultant attempts to track the user down proved a good thing, for a number of reasons. Changes in behavior are often cause for concern among friends, thus posting a little note saying "All is well, back later" is a courtesy that some choose to observe.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Many of us DO know many of the others - from gatherings local and otherwise. Do you seek to understand why some choose to say "Hey, I'll be gone a while, don't worry, talk to you when I get back"? Or do you just wish to state your opinion that this is a useless thread? The former is welcomed. The latter is off-topic, and best left unstated.
To the former (seek enlightenment) - I know of at least one case where a sudden lack of participation from one member caused concern with several others, and for good reason. The resultant attempts to track the user down proved a good thing, for a number of reasons. Changes in behavior are often cause for concern among friends, thus posting a little note saying "All is well, back later" is a courtesy that some choose to observe.
Sorry not really. If your gone your gone. Like you said yourself, you been gone a long time too. What ever. So has a lot of others on this forum. Just seem stupid to me to announce it. Just go on you vacation and have a good time.

I have a good smart friend in Indy. Was banned for nothing, off this forum. 8,000 posts. Did any of the mods on this forum announce where he was at! What happen to him. No. Been over 3 years.

I fine sharing vacation photos cool. Walkabout to me is just plain silly.

Starting something, and walking away in the middle of it, is silly too. You did a walkabout, big time!!!!!!!

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
I agree with Gary. It's nice to know when someone is going to be gone from the forum for awhile.

I guess if you don't want to know you can just skip looking at this thread. That's easy enough to do.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
In the unlikely event that anyone has missed my presence on SCoA as of late, rest easy, I'm just taking a break. After coming to the realization that apparently opposing an organization I view as destructive as the American Nazi Party, or the KKK, is unwelcome on SCoA ... just gotta give it a break.

Peace out.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
...glad you posted Commander...I was about to send the frog after you and see what was going on...

jetfuel....I share your views...

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I was just over in your town last weekend NCC! And while I don't post 1/4 as much as I used to, I was wondering where you were. It's not like I can call you on your cell phone to check up on you.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
NCC, I haven't been on a lot lately myself but have missed you. Good to know your still out there and doing OK.

Another who shares your views.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
OK, gang .....

I'll be checking in a couple of times this week, but I'm on VACATION !!!!

I'm in beautiful Gloucester, VA :)

Visiting with my son's family while he's in Kuwait.

Keep the home fires burning :D

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
We are back home now !!!

Got in on Saturday night.

What a great time with the DIL and the grandkids :)

Great trip, both ways.

Total mileage - 1610 miles
Average MPG - 42.42 :)
Total Gallons - 37.948 :D
Total spent on fuel $145.50
Average PPG - $3.834

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Arise, Zombie Thread....

Oh; hi! Sorry I've been gone so long (speaking of walkabouts)... Seven more weeks of tour, then I get a month off with the Cabrio before they ship me to Japan for the month of August. Then? Tour ends, time to find a new job.

ObNothing: The car needs her 70K check-up, a new starter, a charcoal canister and a purge valve. Not having driven her since New Years' Day, she also needs the cobwebs blown out. I can hardly wait...

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Welcome home Rigger :)

We are back from our latest trip and here's the stats:

New General 185/60/15 Altimax RT43's on all 4 corners.

Mileage corrected for new tire diameter variance of 5.14%.

Fuel prices where all over the place ... from $3.81 to $4.19 :eek:

Winds were extremely bad on the way back ....

Total miles - 1656

Avg MPG - 36.72 (way down from what we usually get, but WELL worth it :))

Total gallons - 32.043

$ on fuel - $168.48

Avg PPG - $4.01

Avg CPM - 10¢

All in all a good trip :D

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Well...........................

After much deliberation, I matched my odo against my GPS and find a variance of 7.76% :eek:

With much more deliberation....I chose to split the difference (which should take in to account tire wear for the life of the tire) and used 6.5% for the mileage correction :)

Based on that, I submit the following for your perusal:

Fuel prices ran from $3.799 to $4.139 (thanks Ohio :mad:) !!

Winds only a factor on the way back.....

2 "fluffy" people, dog, and enough shi...uh "stuff" to fill the boot, MAX A/C both ways, 75+ mph, LOTS of 4th gear and 1 3rd gear stint in WV (about 1/3 mile up Sandstone Mountain!!):(

Total miles = 1719

Average MPG = 40.17 (Yea Baby !!! :spots:)

Fuel cost = $168.40

Gallons consumed = 42.78

Average cost per gallon = $3.969

Average cost per mile = 9¢

All in all....another GREAT trip :D

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
MY TURN AGAIN.
Presently watching the Great Smoky Mountains glide past.
My son and his wife invited me as a passenger on a trip to Winston-Salem N.C. to celebrate my mother's Nintieth Birthday on Saturday. The ten hour straight through return trip will occur Monday. We may detour thru Chattanooga to see the phenomenal aquarium there.
My partner and the cat are home guarding the BB Benz.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts