Smart Car of America Forum banner

Good article comparing the two generations of smart EVs

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 ·
This article has a lot of good information comparing the specs of the generations of smart EVs.

Green Car Congress: 2017 smart fortwo offers more for less

I especially liked this comparison table:
Purple Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

You will note the battery capacity is identical, but the motor is more powerful. The newer model is also about 270 lbs. heavier. But the most amazing stat is that the turning radius shrank from an already remarkable 28.7' down to 22.8'!

EPA ranges are not given (maybe not available when the article was written?), but EPA range on the ED model was 62 miles but only 58 miles for the newer EQ model.

See less See more
#2 ·
The difference of the EPA ranges are not accurate, because the testing method changed between the 451 and the 453. So you cannot compare them reliably. This certainly did not help the sales of the 453, most people did not know that EPA rules changed, and M/B never explained this successfully in their marketing efforts.

#4 ·
Jeb is correct. The 2013 method for measuring EV range (451) was “updated” in 2017 (453) rendering comparisons - apples to oranges…

See post #22 in this thread from the archives…

#5 ·
Thanks for the link to the old thread. Sounds like this was talked to death back in the day. Thanks also for the fueleconomy.gov link, I also did some digging and wound up at that site. They offer lots of technical details about testing, over my head a bit. The article you linked to refers only to 2012 standards, but I did find this one:

2017 Ratings changes

This article says the displayed ranges on the current website have all been corrected to the same new standard.

I guess my problem is believing that a car with wider tires, 300 lbs. more weight, and a more powerful motor but with the same battery size as before, can get better range than the old car. Although Tesla is pulling this kind of rabbit out of a hat all the time nowadays.

When my 2013 cabriolet wears out I will go get one of these newer models and find out for myself! There don't seem to be any other convertible EVs on the horizon, unless Fiat decides to share their new 500e with us. I don't have much hope for the Tesla "25,000 dollar" car. I envision that being some sort of glorified Tercel with a nice motor and battery.

I love that back in the day the original Fiat 500 came as a sedan, a convertible and a panel van. sigh I think they had more fun back then.

#6 ·
I love that back in the day the original Fiat 500 came as a sedan, a convertible and a panel van. sigh I think they had more fun back then.
(Toyota) Tercel, now that’s a FLASHBACK! Great little car that Toyota didn’t know how to take to “market.”

As for “more fun back in the day” -
I promise you that there are some fellow Geezers on this forum that could tell some stories worthy of a six-pack!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.