Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I just about bit the dust, was in the right hand lane on a 4 lane highway, and I have a bad habit of changing the radio channels if a song is on that I don't care for, well, I looked down at the radio buttons and before I knew it the traffic had come to a sudden stop, it's a good thing I was only traveling about 35 mph a/t/t, I hit the brakes hard and stopped just in time with about an inch to spare, wheewwwww.....:eek:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
They definitely can stop on a dime. Even worse when you're driving down the highway with the flow of traffic doing about 75-80, and next thing you know you see brake lights and everyone is doing 35.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Love the fact that the brakes work so well on these little cars. Also helps that the seats clean so easily afterwards. Lol.

Was doing 80 in left lane when some idiot decided he’d go from the on ramp to the left lane while doing 40mph and not looking at the rest of the traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
I thought I'd just add a bit of perspective. One thing I do whenever I get a new car is to take it out and do a high speed brake test and maximal cornering test, just so I know what level of capability the car has. Because braking is highly dependent on the front tires, and those are narrow and an all-season compound that isn't designed for maximum grip, the stopping ability is about where I thought it was. I looked it up in the only instrumented test I could find of my car, Car and Driver doing the ED test in 2013, and saw it had a 70-0 braking distance of 190 feet, which was actually the worst of the six budget electric cars they tested:

2014 Chevy Spark EV vs. Fiat 500E, Ford Focus Electric, Honda Fit EV, Nissan Leaf, Smart Fortwo ED ? Comparison Test ? Car and Driver

The 453 was a couple of feet better at 188 feet:

2017 Smart Fortwo Cabriolet Automatic Test | Review | Car and Driver

As a comparison, a modern sports car can do a 70-0 stop in about 130 feet, and some even less. That's a 60 foot or five car-length difference in stopping ability.

The main takeaway is that modern automobile brakes and tires are really good as they are on a Smart car, but even so, don't even remotely get close to tailgating a higher end sports car on a freeway because the braking level on those cars is breathtakingly excellent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts