Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site and am possibly getting my smart tomorrow. I had had a few reservations about it, as I am now seeing a spike in the number of orphans and used smarts for sale. Are people just not enjoying their new smarts? Are they having problems using them to commute on the highways? I really love the look and feel of the car, but have not tried driving one on the highway for any distance, and I have a 20 minute commute each way on 1-75 in Tampa, FL. Please respond so I know what I am getting into. Thank you everyone.
Ryan

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Your 20 minute commute on the highway will be a breeze!

Most of the orphans on the market are due to people not wanting to wait a year for the car, and not due to dissatisfaction with the smart.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Ryan,

My wife commutes 65 miles round trip on 75 daily from Ruskin to Sarasota and back... we've put 17,000 miles on the car since May and haven't had any issues. You'll love the car. Check you PM's!!!

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I am new to the site and am possibly getting my smart tomorrow. I had had a few reservations about it, as I am now seeing a spike in the number of orphans and used smarts for sale. Are people just not enjoying their new smarts? Are they having problems using them to commute on the highways? I really love the look and feel of the car, but have not tried driving one on the highway for any distance, and I have a 20 minute commute each way on 1-75 in Tampa, FL. Please respond so I know what I am getting into. Thank you everyone.
Ryan
Great Commuter Car

Their may be quite a few orphans because it's not only buyers of US cars can't get loans. I have a great credit rating and was supprized to find out a couple of weeks after I got my car that I was rejected from Chase Bank for a loan. I did not know it because the finance person at my Smart dealer got me another loan and didn't tell me I was rejected for one.

A lot of the used ones are folks that thought they could make a buck selling their car and they are now being caught up in the lack of credit. WHy buy a used one when you can get a new one.:badidea:

As far as interstate driving their are several folks on here that have had it up to 95mph for some distance. {not me, I live in a 65mph state and like to keep my MPG's up} The only problem I have in the interstates is the gaulkers. It's easier to galk when they can drive up next to you.

A 20 min commute is nothing and shouldn't give you any issues. And when Gas prices eventualy go up your smiles per gallon will go up too.:)

Oh, and congrats of getting one of the first 2009 Smarts, What color and model?

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Great Commuter Car

Their may be quite a few orphans because it's not only buyers of US cars can't get loans. I have a great credit rating and was supprized to find out a couple of weeks after I got my car that I was rejected from Chase Bank for a loan. I did not know it because the finance person at my Smart dealer got me another loan and didn't tell me I was rejected for one.
That is a big reason for the large number of orphans in the Tampa area... As bad as the economy is nationwide, we've been hit even harder here... It's really bad here.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Here in the midwest. It's fun to drive to work on the highway everyday. 34 miles round trip. I don't know about snow yet!!! You won't have to worry about that down there. Windy days on the highway, at 65 mph become a issue. The car gets blown around, bad. Sometimes really scary.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Ryan... I drove it through the tropical storm that sat over Melbourne at 65mph on the Beachline Expressway... the car was fine...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice.. Just got back from the dealer.. Picked up a yellow orphan with black trident. I drove it home and LOVE it... Can't wait to take it to work in the AM... Thanks again for all the feedback..
Ryan

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Sent you the PM but Congrats!!!! Hope to see you at an event soon!! :D :bouncies::bouncies::bouncies::bouncies:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Ryan
I took I-75 / I-4 to Orlando and back last week and it was fine. Enjoy.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Thank you everyone for the advice.. Just got back from the dealer.. Picked up a yellow orphan with black trident. I drove it home and LOVE it... Can't wait to take it to work in the AM... Thanks again for all the feedback..
Ryan
I stand corrected, Gongrats on getting one of the last 08's and Yellows.

Enjoy your bee

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
There are several reasons for more orphans and used, but I doubt that people's admiration goes down after ownership. I still love my Smart months after I got it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have gum in your car LOL

Ryan
Tridion not Trident LOL ..... sorry couldn't help myself :)

Enjoy the car

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
100 mile round trip to work commute every day of the week and my Smart is still going strong (knock on wood). Almost 18,000 miles since I got my orphan in April. It has saved me a bundle (one of the main reasons I purchased the car) and is fun to drive. Best of luck with your new Smart.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've had mine for 5 months (and over 6,000 miles) and I commute about 25-30 minutes, mostly highway, every day. This past weekend I drove 253.5 miles round trip from RI to Maine and back for a smart car road rally sponsored by the Massachusetts smart car club. The weather was crappy, but we had a blast! The drive home was a bit windy and VERY rainy, but I had no trouble keeping Poppy on the road and in her own lane. She's a blast to drive, and I still love her to pieces!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put 62,500 miles on the car using it as a commuter car in two years. The good news is that it is more comfortable then a Toyota Corolla and works fine commuting BUT it has very low rear gearing so the thing is running like some weed wacker on the freeway. The engine is spinning at 3,500 rpms while some of the other cars next to you on the freeway are running as low as 1,800rpms in overdrive. That is one reason the smart doesn't get much better mileage then the Honda, Nissan or Toyota even with the MUCH smaller engine. Since the engine spinning around so many more times then other engine it might not get the 250 to 300,000 miles you can get on a Toyota or Mazda. Time will tell but I think we will be lucky to get 150,000 miles on the engine.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I have a buddy witha Geo Metro with the Mitsubishi motor, Last week he hit 325,000 miles. Not much body left but still running strong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts