Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some good info on Smart Fortwo radios and speakers and what-not.

2011-2015 smart fortwo coupe car audio profile

I've been trying to sort out all the radio options and it's getting confusing. I guess Grundig made radios for Smart before our US models?

Our US models of radio are made by Mobis (Hyundai). Mobis also makes radios for Kia, Puegot, Nissan and VW. But there's model 9 and 10 which I presume is the cd player one that takes up 2 spaces(2din). From 2008 to 2010?

My 2011 has the entryline radio and I don't know what model it's designated as.

Then there was highline option that is a touch screen and navigaion?

I'm sure someone "in the know" can answer these questions and educate a newbie like me.

If you have an entryline radio like me, it will accept a large USB pen drive. I just last night finished up loading a 64GB USB thumb drive and it has 11,366 MP3's on it. I had been using a 2GB one that had about 500 MP3"s on it. I had my doubts that the entryline radio would handle a pen drive of that size. I plugged it in and it sat there on the "activating" menu for about 10 minutes reading the pen drive and I thought it was stuck in a loop or something ! But it did read the entire directory and works flawlessly.
If you buy anything over 16 GB from Ebay be very wary of the ones from China. I bought a 128GB one and it was a dud. China has been buying up 8 GB ones and reflashing them as large 32,64 or 128GB drives and when you load them up over their true capacity they crash and can't be re-used. Stick with name brand like Sansdisk, Kingstin or PNY(which is what I use) and be sure they aren't Chinese knockoffs too.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
In regards to the radio models on the earlier 451's... there was the Radio 10, and i believe the Radio 9. They both look nearly identical, the only difference being that on the Radio 10, the button next to the cd slot says "Load" instead of "RND", because the Radio 10 is a 6-disc CD changer. Ironically enough, i still have the factory Radio 10 from my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe, and it was manufactured by Visteon. Pretty beefy head unit, too, if i might add....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Both Radio 9 & 10 are total POS on the AM band. Not much good for long trips. LOL

The radio's seem to lack the strong RF stages found in most high quality auto radios. They do have an amp of some sort built into the antenna line for the FM frequencies only. Worst car radios I have ever owned. A2Jack

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When my wife bought a Kia Rio in 2009 I found myself in awe of the radio. It wasn't because it had XM satellite, it was because the FM band picked up a station on almost every frequency of the FM band. I was always used to Kraco and Sparkomatic, you know the high dollar aftermarket radios LOL. Well in 2012 she bought a Kia Forte and I inherited the Rio which was fine with me as my old 1977 Chevy one ton dually was showing it's age and the Garrard radio I had put in it 20 years earlier sucked. Well when I got my Smart Fortwo it had the entry line radio and when I saw it I was less than pleased. But I soon found it picked up many stations on FM but as A2Jack mentioned, AM is very weak. But the sound was pretty good so I just added a line level converter to it and added an amp and some more speakers and I'm very happy with the result. I don't go from stoplight to stoplight with a thunderous boom like the younger ones do, but I am a tried and true audiophile that likes a full clean sound at a lower volume. I've been a music nut since I got my first Smart Car at 4 years old and I used to steal my dad's AM pocket radio in the leather case and listen to AM as I drove all over the back yard.

But I just found out the other day that the same company that made the radio for the Rio also made the radio for the Fortwo. I didn't think I could live without a mountain of CD's to trample under foot, but I plugged in a 64 GB USB pen drive and have over 11,000 songs at my disposal. I'm gonna add another 64 GB one to my MP5 rear view mirror and that will be 11,000 more and I can also add an SD ram card of 64 GB and have 11,000 more.That's 69 days of continuous music 24 hours a day 7 days a week and never have to hear a repeat song. And that's all with a lowly entry level radio. I have a Garmin for GPS so I don't need it in the radio.Who says it's not cool to drive a Smart?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts