Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2010 Passion, and it's been struck with the bad cylinder #2 bug- after tons of money thrown at diagnosis (and misdiagnosis), we are selling it at a huge loss to a mechanic. It's too bad - we really liked it. Probably if we had brought it to a Mercedes dealer to start with we could have had an accurate dx the first try, but the nearest one is over an hour away so we were stuck with locals. At least $1000 in tow charges, parts and labor, we still have a sick Smart with only 47K. Just thought I would throw the .02 in as I see a few others have also had this problem - we did find a used engine for about $2K, but we just can't keep throwing money at it. I'll miss our little pod car!

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, M-B USA/smart USA doesn't seem to have a handle on the dead cylinder problem. There are some great deals out there on late model used smarts if you care to roll the dice again. :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
All the thoughts of Economy, and saving money on gas, Dashed...!!! The Smart was a Cruel Joke for you...<:-(( Next time buy a car with 10 year 100,000 mile warranty ~ hint-hint ~ you will be happy sleeping easy recovering from your Monetary Loss...

C'est la vie
something that you say when something happens that you do not like but which you have to accept because you cannot change it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm getting a subaru /sigh. Actually, the Smart was my husband's car - he's sad to see it go. It was fun getting all the cool comments but we just can't throw any more money at it. It had all the maintenance, premium gas, etc. Ah well.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Enjoy the Subaru. Which model if you don't mind me asking? We are on our third Subaru (Foresters) and we actually got interested in their hybrid CrossTrek but economics dictated otherwise.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm getting a forester. =) My other car is a Jeep Wrangler. Won't be the same without the 'pod! (our name for the Smart). I hope the mechanic can fix it up for himself.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Very nice....You'll love the Forrester. I'd wait to see what the 453 smart has to offer. It would be interesting to see what the mechanic finds and maybe shed some light to MBUSA .:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THAT has NOT done anyone else any good so far !!!! :mad:

All MB wants to do is SELL smarts, NOT service them :rolleyes:
/agree. We thought about calling Smart, but after reading these and other forums, it seems they haven't helped even the most vocal of those with engine problems - and the few that got a bit of help were regular MB customers. We did most of our own maintenance since the dealer was 1.5 hours away and that's not going to win us any brownie points. We threw so much money at it to try and pinpoint the cause because it seemed inconceivable that a car with such low mileage would have a bad engine. We even tried the seafoam and the MMO with no luck (darn!).

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 2009 had misfires on #3 cylinder with 54000 miles. MB checked it out to be bad exhaust valve. When they took off the head for rework.the motor was also in bad shape. They put a rebuilt engine in and I paid for all the labour. Could not get an answer to the cause of the problem. I was just out of warranty(4 years- 50000 miles) Canada, they did not charge me for the rebuilt engine. Started happening in April 2013 and was diagnosed July2013. If it is a bad valve in your motor the fix will not be cheap

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bad cars can happen to anyone :( ironically in regards to this post, my parents' new Subaru has been in the shop three times now in about a year of ownership.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bad cars can happen to anyone :( ironically in regards to this post, my parents' new Subaru has been in the shop three times now in about a year of ownership.
The only bright spot in that is the dealer network is far more developed than Smart has bothered to do. I may get a Subaru but will not consider another Smart even though I like mine until MB gets the network a little more complete. Less than one per state shows buyers little respect.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts