Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if you can use goof off or goo gone on the matte grey smarts without ruining the paint? The reason for asking is that I would like to debadge the rear "smart". Sorry, but I just don't know the rules and regulations when it comes to dealing with the matte. I guess I should have considered that before getting the matte grey but OH WELL! :D

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Might make the matt paint shine. I wouldn't use it. That the issue with Matt paints. Use a good car wash soap.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Warm the emblem with a hair dryer for a few minutes, then use dental floss in a "sawing" motion to remove.

Any adhesive residue, use Goof Off or Goo Gone SPARINGLY on a qtip.

Are you just removing or replacing with something else? If replacing, ignore the qtip and just badge over any residue?

·
17,352 Posts
Wrumbarger has it down to the letter. High heat then floss it off!

As for cleaning it, whatever solvent you use, just don't rub too hard or for too long! :eek:

·
17,352 Posts
Excuse me? Where did I say HIGH HEAT?

I said WARM the emblem?

Remember, you are working on a plastic panel, not sheet metal !
Eh, to me and my sensitive skin, a hair dryer classifies as high heat. That stuff is HOT! :D
But yes, just trying to ditto your statement by (badly) paraphrasing.

Sorry for any misinterpretations! :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Does anybody know if you can use goof off or goo gone on the matte grey smarts without ruining the paint?
Some adhesive removing products - mayo, smooth peanut butter, cooking oil/spray, vinegar, baby oil, WD-40, citrus based cleaners like Goo Gone, rubbing alcohol or vodka (which you may need later depending on the results?) should be first tested on a hidden matte grey painted area of the car.

Don't need the debadged area left shining (as smark suggested) like a new penny because you used the wrong product!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I will probably try the process on Sunday and let you know how everything goes. I'll try to find a secluded area to test it first. Thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Above all, you do not want to rub it. After applying a solvent (tested on a hidden area first), blot with an absorbent soft cloth to absorb the remaining gel-ified residue.
One of my favorite solvents is an orange oil aerosol spray marketed as an air freshener. It is 100% orange oil and has an orange blossom and leaf cluster on the label. It is sold at the big orange home improvement store where we use it to remove the sticky adhesive from the shelving of all those pricing labels.
It WILL melt the unpainted interior plastic materials used in refrigerators. I would expect clear coated materials to be resistant, but I would sure test it first!!!!!!!
Rubbing will abrade and smooth the finish creating shine, so don't rub it, blot.
Be careful and have fun with it. Just know that if you create a shiny spot, from that day forward, that is all you will see. You won't see the badge gone, just the shiny spot.
It is known as the missing ceiling tile syndrome. Your eye will be drawn to it. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would you give an update on your badge removal from your matte panels, please?

And how is your matte panel finish holding up, overall?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
When I took off the badges, I simply heated them a little and then sawed them off with the dental floss like others recommend. Then with the residue left over, I just heated it a little more and slowly got it off by peeling it and LIGHT rubbing. I was able to get away without using any chemical/substance, and it turned out great.

As for the longevity, they seem to look just like they did off of the showroom floor. I read that you have to be careful washing it, so I always do it by hand and use Johnson's Baby tear-free shampoo. Other cleaners supposedly will bring shine, and I don't want to risk it... I'm getting a new passenger rear fender panel put on tomorrow because somebody hit me while I was sitting in a parking spot and gave me a nice dent. When that is on, I will be able to tell if the sun has had any effect on the shine of the panels over time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts