Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 92.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I have an A451 CC too. I haven't yet purchased the programmer, though I might still do it. $40 is more manageable than $300.

This device has one large advantage over the A451 programming tweaks though. To program the A451, as I understand it, you have to physically remove the device from the car, open the case, connect to your laptop or PC and install the code you wish to use. Reassemble and reinstall the CC in the car and check it out. You might have to do this a number of times before you get just the tweak you want. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the way I understand it. I don't feel it's beyond my ability ... but, it's not exactly a simple procedural imo.

This device is pretty much push button simple after it is installed. If it pretty well accomplishes the same task, I can see the advantage. Still, I probably will pass due to the price and there are more important places for my limited funds to go. Money is tighter than it used to be, for me at least, lol.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not better off than I was when I got my car either, but, being able to change programing on the fly sounds like a good deal. if it works like this: running down the 2 lane highway in econ mode when you run up on a slowpoke. Hit the button to plus mode and pass him/her. Then, return to econ mode. I will get it.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
...don't know about that Digger...the instructions read "do not change settings while accelerating"...does it means while drivng?...or can it be set while driving but not accelerating?...

jetfuel..like to know

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Looks like a different take on the Sprint Booster; not for me at that price, as I can program the Area451 CC as needed. :)
Looks like an improvement over the Sprint Booster to me. Same price, or close?

It would be interesting to hear from a user. I guess that will take some time.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
...don't know about that Digger...the instructions read "do not change settings while accelerating"...does it means while drivng?...or can it be set while driving but not accelerating?...

jetfuel..like to know
Jet, I assumed, that changing while accelerating meant just that. Could be done, but not advised, on the side of caution from the maker. I didn't read that as not changing while driving.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am content with my setup now. I thought it could add some passing torque. I have the sprint boost set at 3 ( I think) there are times when a 2 would due and times when I would like to have a 4+. as far as the cash goes.....many things I purchased over the last few years for my smart have been way over valued.....just say'n...

·
Registered
562 Posts
It looks interesting, but not something I would drop $300 on.

I wonder, does it actually do more, or is it just an upgraded version of the device that merely modified the voltage to make the pedal "more sensitive" by essentially raising how hard it was pushed faster.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I am not better off than I was when I got my car either, but, being able to change programing on the fly sounds like a good deal. if it works like this: running down the 2 lane highway in econ mode when you run up on a slowpoke. Hit the button to plus mode and pass him/her. Then, return to econ mode. I will get it.
It doesn't make the car any faster.
Connected to the throttle, that is all it can do.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get plenty of "boost" when I mash the pedal to the metal :burnout: :D

(plus, I can also program my 451 cruise :))

chief ........ where did I put that programming cable ??

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Area 451 Loud Peddle Programing Chart~Mine is set at 10 to, so it matches the jump of my other cars...

#15 = B.O.O.H (Bat-Out-Of-Hell)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
While a much easier install than the old Sprint Booster to the slip joint, no real magic in the bottle just Pedal Mapping Gen II. SM sez, it makes a significant difference in the way the smart responds. Noticable yes but significant . . . ? :rolleyes:

Yes, the various "bump" levels (pedal mapping) of the GOPedal can be done on the fly BUT as others have pointed out, the only change is to the timing of electronic pulses being sent by the gas pedal to the computer. Do not expect to push a button and transform your smart into a Fast and the Furious player . . .
NCC1701 sez; To program the A451, as I understand it, you have to physically remove the device from the car, open the case, connect to your laptop or PC and install the code you wish to use.
If you have a laptop, it is not necessary to physically remove the Area 451 CC. While you do need to have access to the Area451 CC case to flip a switch, this can all be done easily in the back of the car.

Both aftermarket CC's offer pedal mapping. The SM MDC CC requires no additional conectors while the Area451 does require a Cruise Control Programmer;
Cruise Control Programmer - $40.00 : SmartieParts, Smart Parts for Smart Cars

Have used both aftermarket CC's WITH pedal mapping and do believe that the reaction time between the pedal and engine is improved and is FAR SUPERIOR to "mashing the pedal differently."

Note; IMHO, CC pedal mapping, Sprint Boosters and GOPedals do not affect the actual performance nor HP of your smart in any way. However, that all important "seat of the pants" test may surprise you? :D

·
Super Moderator
11,231 Posts
All I can say is give it a try. I put the AreA451 pedal mapping in and it does improve the lag time on takeoff and the Bat out of hell mode is insane!!

If you don't like what you installed (mapping) you can shut it off with the flip of a switch on the unit, get home and change it. It also allows you to do any future updates that may come available.

It DOES NOT make your car go any faster (top end) or increase HP. just more fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts