Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I were returning home from breakfast today and out of the corner of my eye I saw a smart for sale at the local Flow VW dealership.
I of course acted in a thoroughly adult way and shouted "Look smart! Turn!"
in the high falsetto of a teenage girl.
2011 with 42k miles EXACTLY the same color as my current smartie with exception of tan interior. However way better in all respects. Complete service history, Carfax, almost new tires, almost new front brakes, clean, clean clean. Long story short, we traded Melissa in and got the new as yet unnamed smartie. Even pulled out my cargo shade puller thing from Melissa. It seems me and missus are car purchase-prone on Saturdays.
Photos soon. Oh and runs wayyyyy smooth.
Only one question help me with it. The car does not beep!when locking ect. If it's a fault, it's one I can live with.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Can you say NO Security System. The beep you heard before was the system arming. If no factory system installed no beep just the flashing lights. Good luck with your new to u smart.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well now you need two crashed ones for spares ha ha xxxx

I'm just like you, I start buying multiples of things I like. I'm a high end Fred Sanford. 9 airplanes. I'm the biggest fool I know!! I snap up spares for the military jets like crazy!!! Things can be dirt cheap unless you put yourself in the spot that you have to have something. I found a bullet proof NOS windshield for my T-33 for $50 on eBay. Had I been in a pinch to get it close to $6000. Like I said ..... Fred Sanford!!!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One poster above said "no security system" I'm ok with that but I've looked and probably through lack of search ability, see no info on smarts that don't have a security system. Can someone post previous discussions or just start an informative discussion on this. I didn't even know smart offered it and I was under the impression that it was one of the more impossible mods for the smart.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
My smart doesn't have the security system. So when I lock it, I look forward to 3 light flashes to assure me it locked. If the flashes don't happen then the rear window or one of the two doors isn't properly closed. You still have the panic button on the FOB however.
I regret not getting the alarm because its pretty impossible to get a factory type retrofitted.
I'm also in that age group when I'm in a store I suddenly panic, not remembering whether I actually locked the car. Then I run outside again to confirm.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Actually, I got tired of announcing to the neighborhood that I was:
Getting the car ready to go to work (turning on heat) beep beep beep!
That I was home: beep beep beep!
That I went out to get something out of the car: beep! then beep beep beep.!
That I was checking from inside to see if the car was locked: beep beep beep!
I look forward to just locking the sucker. or unlocking, or checking to see...you get the idea.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got the car this afternoon, after all the paperwork and stuff just came home and only drove it around the block once, and I'm still having trouble getting my head around the idea of......I've got a new smart! The second best feeling on earth!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The beeps meant you had the security system that detects movement inside the car if it wasn't deactivated when you unlocked the door, the flashing lights no beep means you don't have that alarm. I have 2 smarts, one with & one without. I stuck my arm through an open window with the door locked and it set off the alarm! That alarm can be turned off but I haven't bothered. You would have a button with a picture of a smart with a red light on it if you have the alarm.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Mike me and my ass thank you!
I can't wait until tomorrow I may drive to the coast-197miles.
That's one thing that keeps our trips in our '08 on the shorter side ... flat butt syndrome if you spend too much time in those seats. Are the '11 seats that much better?

Others who have experienced both feel free to chime in as well and best of luck to Jackieowner with the new ride :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually the flat butt syndrome is worse in my wife's Prius.
I've always found the smart to be quite comfy seating wise.
I drive her 70 miles round trip every day.:D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree with Jackieowner. Our smart cars are the most comfortable cars we have in our fleet, for long trips. We have a couple of small donut pillows that we use on occasion & especially when I had sciatica. I also like the fact that when driving the smart on a long trip, I don't get as sleepy as I used when driving our Crown Victoria or Suburban.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you get too sleepy driving a smart you'll shortly be starring in your own private off-road adventure.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's one thing that keeps our trips in our '08 on the shorter side ... flat butt syndrome if you spend too much time in those seats.
I would prefer more side bolstering on the bottom cushions, but that's hard to do.

I didn't like the position of the bottom cushion - too horizontal (too close to being flat) - but even without an angle adjustment for the seat cushion, you can still do it the old skool way: unbolt the two front attachment points where the seat tracks bolt to the floor, and shove a couple washers under each one, then bolt them down again (thus raising up the front of the seat!). If it takes more than a couple of washers at each point to get the seat angle where you want it, replace the bolts with longer ones. It took three washers to get the angle to where I want it ... so longer bolts went in.

This made a night and day difference to comfort on longer trips.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I've had the new smart for about 24 hours now. I didn't drive it to the beach like I had planned because I could have better used my time building a boat and putting two of all animals in it. Whoee did it rain! But I've still driven it around town all day and I'm frankly amazed at the difference between Melissa and this car.
It has a buzzzzzzzzz sound that is quite pleasing that M did not. Wayyyyy smoother in changes. Not 1st lurch at all ever (so far). Even though I kept Melissa super clean, this car has so much less day to day wear and is very clearly a different car just at a glance even though the color scheme is identical.
The round town mpg is 40.1 so far (Melissa's is 39.5). I'm keeping the original antenna (worst mistake I've made smart-wise was to change to stub "fashionable" antenna). The tan (think camel) interior is beautiful-but I feel as if I'm going to smudge it somehow. I feel like I ought to take a shower and shave before I drive it. The response is quite peppy and marginally better than M's.
Oddly enough, after reading these forums for all this time, I don't "trust" this one as much as the much higher mileage Melissa yet. I keep kind of waiting for that code to be thrown or that strange sound to show up. Paranoid, but am I paranoid enough? Lol. It being a black and white outside, I'm tempted to name it CAR 54.
Many or most of you will not get the connection. Some will.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts