Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We leased the Smart about 6 months ago really as a trial to see how living with an EV would be like. Once we got the smart and learned how to live with the size, we really enjoyed it. I haven't driven our ICE SUV for many months, other than to keep it lubricated and to take it to the dealer for annual service.

Back in April I test drove the i3 and thought it was pretty nice. I drove it a couple times since they started shipping in June. So on Friday I traded my ML63 AMG for a BMW i3, essentially the same spec as the one I drove in April.

I had emailed a couple dealers and found one that a customer ordered in February, but canceled and it happen to arrive at the dealer yesterday. The car has literally every option except the gas range extender. It is still pretty small, but about twice as big as the Smart ED. The ride, handling, interior, stereo, and telematics are executed very well for being designed as a city car like the smart.

Probably the only thing I am slightly disappointed with is the range being only slightly more than the Smart, despite the car costing about twice as much. The usable battery capacity is actually only a little larger at 18.8 kWh, but I'm easily seeing over 4.1 miles per kw in sporty driving. I'm sure that will improve when the novelty of foot to the floor acceleration wears off. Some people have reported getting over 110 miles per charge in the Eco Pro mode.

For now we will have two EVs. My partner will drive the Smart until I get my Georgia tax refund and pay the remaining due on the lease. Then we'll think if we want to return the smart early for something else. Or we might return the smart and purchase again to maximize our tax incentives before Georgia likely takes it away in the spring.

Cars are probably my only irrational vice.

Stock photos of interior:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I am slightly disappointed with is the range being only slightly more than the Smart, despite the car costing about twice as much. The usable battery capacity is actually only a little larger at 18.8 kWh, but I'm easily seeing over 4.1 miles per kw in sporty driving.
4.1 m/kwh is 14.6kwh/100km (which I think in).

My daily commute is not very long, and I rarely get above 20% ECO in the Smart ED, and average around 18kwh/100km.

Let's guess based on these rough numbers that the BMW i3 is 20% more efficient than the Smart ED, and has 1 more kwh of storage.

That certainly equates to perhaps another 30km of driving range. For me, that is not world changing, but it's an improvement none the less. :nerd:

Enjoy your i3, while it doesn't work for me (I'm waiting for Model X to trade in our Mercedes GLK) as a second car, it certainly looks to be a fantastic city car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts