Smart Car of America Forum banner

Got flat! Spare wheels?

3K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  ca smartone 
#1 ·
So my beloved 08 fortwo got its first flat yesterday coming off the Williamsburg bridge into Manhattan. The valve stem came loose somehow so a refill was not an option.
My question is, can I buy a spare wheel that would fit front or back just to limp me home or even a donut type wheel.
Also, would putting 2 rear wheels on the front make this whole process easier and what is the difference between front and back wheels? Is it only the width?
I know a lot of neophyte questions but I just started a new job and really need my smarty on its feet. (!!!)

#2 ·
I'm running 15X6 wheels all around, and actually have a 5th so I can rotate tires like they used to when cars had full size spares. The 5th is too big to carry on a daily basis though, so I had a Kumho T21 temporary spare - 125/80-15 95M mounted on a steel 4.5 inch front rim with a standard valve stem. It fits nicely behind either seat. Have a compact jack to go with it, so I should be good to at least get home.

#6 ·
Yes 64 that's what I am thinking of. How did you get the 2 other 6in wheels and how much did you pay? I found them on ebay for $75 ea.
I haven't junkyard shopped for any but cant figure there are many around since the car is rare.
To clarify, my 6 inch rims are new German made alutec alloys from Tire Rack. they are about $115 each. Very pleased with them. I couldn't find much on ebay. The Kumho temporary spare is about as narrow a tire as you're going to get to fit on a 4.5 inch steel rim. It's a donut, with the obvious speed and range limitations, but I'm not going to be more than 50 miles from home.

#8 ·
So my beloved 08 fortwo got its first flat yesterday coming off the Williamsburg bridge into Manhattan. The valve stem came loose somehow so a refill was not an option.
My question is, can I buy a spare wheel that would fit front or back just to limp me home or even a donut type wheel.
Also, would putting 2 rear wheels on the front make this whole process easier and what is the difference between front and back wheels? Is it only the width?
I know a lot of neophyte questions but I just started a new job and really need my smarty on its feet. (!!!)
What do you need now? Are you in a jam and need a spare rim/tire to get you going tomorrow. Or at this point you got repaired and are just looking for a spare tire solution going forward. I can bring you a rim and tire to use to get you through if you are stuck just get it to a local tire fix shop, assuming no spare also means no jack of lug wrench. Because tires are not at all the issue, its when you are scrambling for a 3 lug rim that could get you strung out.

Also you guys with spare tires, what are you carrying for Jacks and lug wrenches?

#9 ·
What do you need now? Are you in a jam and need a spare rim/tire to get you going tomorrow. Or at this point you got repaired and are just looking for a spare tire solution going forward. I can bring you a rim and tire to use to get you through if you are stuck just get it to a local tire fix shop, assuming no spare also means no jack of lug wrench. Because tires are not at all the issue, its when you are scrambling for a 3 lug rim that could get you strung out.

Also you guys with spare tires, what are you carrying for Jacks and lug wrenches?
There are a number of scissors jacks available from various cars. My lug wrench is unique because I have left the 15mm lug nuts that were originl equipment on the car. This a 15mm socket 6" extension and 1/2" x 24" breaker bar take care of everything.

Soon, I will show people my tool kit which fits in the rear door , when it's done.

#12 ·
So I fixed the flat the next day, it was the valve stem/ TPS that came loose so a refill was impossible. Just bought a new stem & swapped it. I found the rims on ebay for $75 for the steel ones which match what I have, just have to get a TPS and tire.
I think long term 4 rear rims is the way to go but I will probably sell this 451 to get another one this spring so may just get a front tire now as a makeshift donut.

#17 ·
IMPORTANT: If fitting the spare or spacesaver behind the seat then tie it down with nylon rope, from seat runner through the spare to the other seat runner. This will prevent it moving in case of an accident. I have my spare behind passenger seat, and my Jack and brace in a bag behind the drivers seat. As for 453 Fortwo, do not worry that your spare does not have a TPS sensor, as you are only putting the spare on temporary and then taking it off again ASAP. The TPS sensors should only be on your four road wheels.

#27 ·
I only use 1.5 ton scissors jack, as those one legged type of jack that store inside a spare wheel are deadly and the one joint can give way if on a slope, and you end up with the car on the ground. Also due to the short wheel base, the car is quite unstable when lifting with a jack, so I brace two wheels with wheel chocks to prevent movement, and then use my scissors jack. (wheel chocks can be metal, wood or hard plastic type. Here is my metal chocks).

for a Smart car a 1.5 ton capacity scissors jack is fine....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.