Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started in anticipation of May 1st (or 3rd) deliveries. :)

Let us know when you get your new electric drive (or whatever smart is calling them this week....)

1. cooltoys, NY
2. Woody14619, NY
3. hunger, CA
4. zipperdu, CA
5. Don Bearden, CA*
6. Jeffrey Myers, MD?*

* from smartusainsider.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is what my genius dealer had to write me yesterday:

I hear some cars are on their way to the dealerships now and might arrive in the next few days.

I'm not sure how the rebates work. I think the Federal comes off the price and the state is a tax rebate but I haven't looked into it yet.
What a joker, I swear... I'm this close to giving up on "Ed" and get the Fiat 500e instead!

At least the Fiat guys have their sh!t together. Communication from Fiat USA has been much more clear from day 1, options and packages are straightforward, and the Fiat dealer in my area actually knows what he's talking about and does ACTUAL RESEARCH to answer my questions.

Examples:

I had a conference call with CARB and the original budget is running out however they did reload the money and we should be good for the balance of the year at least. They also eliminated Hybrids from the program so Prius's will no longer qualify.
FIAT has priced the 500e at $32,500 including destination fee, prior to federal, state and local rebates/tax incentives. The 500e comes highly equipped straight from the factory including all power options including a Navigation system and BlueTooth capability.
The only options are a power sliding glass moonroof ($1,050) and the "Sport Appearance Package" ($495). This package includes contrast-colored mirror caps and side stripes, dark graphite colored alloy wheels, smoked head-light/tail-light lenses and is only available with a dark interior.
FIAT has announced a deeply subsidized lease on the 500e. Just $999 total due at signing and $199 per month plus tax for a 36 month, 12,000 mile-per-year lease. Alternatively, FIAT is also offering 0.00%APR financing for up to 60 months on the 500e. Both these amazing offers are offered on approved credit for well qualified buyers.

·
Registered
624 Posts
On Fiat in general ...

When they first arrived around Chicago had stopped in to a North Shore area dealer and talked a bit with the sales rep. They had a 'remote' lot with new cars awaiting the showroom to be finished at the time (Fiat would not let them 'sell' any cars until it was completed) and the guy actually knew quite a bit about them, had to complete an off-site training program of course along with designated mechanics. I'd imagine the same would happen with the EV's they'll sell but it's interesting because its starting out in a very limited market area.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Back to main topic ...

some smart U.S. based dealers have these NOW

Have always liked the autotrader site as it shows dealer inventory, sometimes it's pre-orders for customers but other times it shows cars actually in stock. If anyone is in the Germantown, MD area please see if these are there! First non-launch color on a lot I've seen as well --- and its indeed a Gen III by its looks and pricing to me:

Cars for Sale: 2013 smart fortwo electric drive in Germantown, MD 20874: Coupe Details - 346576825 - AutoTrader.com

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
With a release date of May 15, shouldn't be any in inventory as the first wave should have been pre-sold?

Very odd that we have now gone a couple days with not even one delivery being acknowledged by smartUSA, sUSAi, smart USA FB, a smart Center with inventory to sell (?) or a new owner?

Appears that Ed "delayed" has only served to sell more Leafs and potentially 500e's? What a business model - smart continues to provide more questions than answers? :confused:

Popcorn to celebrate the first Ed delivery has become very stale . . . :popcorn:

·
Registered
624 Posts
With a release date of May 15, shouldn't be any in inventory as the first wave should have been pre-sold?

Very odd that we have now gone a couple days with not even one delivery being acknowledged by smartUSA, sUSAi, smart USA FB, a smart Center with inventory to sell (?) or a new owner?

Appears that Ed "delayed" has only served to sell more Leafs and potentially 500e's? What a business model - smart continues to provide more questions than answers? :confused:

Popcorn to celebrate the first Ed delivery has become very stale . . . :popcorn:

I suppose those that are listed with this dealer could be cancelled customer orders (those who wanted them simply couldn't wait any longer and bought a LEAF) but who knows --- none of these appear to have the steering wheel 'paddle' option either but again probably just in the first batch -- did you happen to notice date of mfg, yes that's February 2013 ... kind of confirms the theory as they've been in the states waiting for smart to release them for awhile ?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I suppose those that are listed with this dealer could be cancelled customer orders (those who wanted them simply couldn't wait any longer and bought a LEAF) but who knows --- none of these appear to have the steering wheel 'paddle' option either but again probably just in the first batch -- did you happen to notice date of mfg, yes that's February 2013 ... kind of confirms the theory as they've been in the states waiting for smart to release them for awhile ?

I doubt you will find any ED's with paddle shifters. No need for them. It's a single speed transmission.

Also, Feb build date with May delivery is fairly typical of smart. My 08 was built in March, and arrived at the dealer the first week of May. Remember, they are coming by boat from France. Plus someone posted that there were some legal issues with the battery lease/rental that the lawyers had to sort through before they could release the cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I doubt you will find any ED's with paddle shifters. No need for them. It's a single speed transmission.
The paddles in Ed are not for shifting but to control level of regen.
Read more at: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/operation-regen-paddles-2013-smart-ed-49083/

Also, Feb build date with May delivery is fairly typical of smart. My 08 was built in March, and arrived at the dealer the first week of May. Remember, they are coming by boat from France. Plus someone posted that there were some legal issues with the battery lease/rental that the lawyers had to sort through before they could release the cars.
I got a VIN back in Feb and tracked its vessel, which arrived at port in LA on March 11th. So yes, they've been on US soil for over two months. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
First Electric Drive Delivered in NYC

Just picked up my Smart electric drive yesterday and it's amazing. Eerie Quiet, quick and thank god no transmission! I decided to get the Crystal White/Kinetic Green Combo and it looks great, especially with those white wheels. I traded my first 2008 Smart Cabrio (which was the second delivered in NYC).

So far I love it because it corrects my biggest complaint with my first one, the transmission.

More to come.

Jay

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
And the teasing will continue.... the car advertises that you have ED!
and we all know what that means! Erectile Disfunction!

I guess it could mean electric drive. :p

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Just picked up my Smart electric drive yesterday and it's amazing. Eerie Quiet, quick and thank god no transmission! I decided to get the Crystal White/Kinetic Green Combo and it looks great, especially with those white wheels. I traded my first 2008 Smart Cabrio (which was the second delivered in NYC).

So far I love it because it corrects my biggest complaint with my first one, the transmission.

More to come.

Jay
Congratulations, Jay!

Moved here to tally ED's deliveries. Thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

More to come.

Jay
The white wheels do look sharp. Nice car. So when the next gen smart comes out you will be able to get a (rumored) smoother transmission and longer range with petrol. Start saving up! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Just picked up my Smart electric drive yesterday and it's amazing.

Jay,

Congrats on being one of the first to adopt a smart Ed v.3 for Beta Testing.
:spots::spots::spots:
Please do keep us in the loop as to your electrifying experiences . . . :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
FWIW: Got mine too. :) First Cabrio gas delivered to smart Buffalo in 2008 (3rd car sold). This time I was first nationwide to take delivery for an 2013 ED. When the dealer called in to activate the warranty, needed to setup the on-line connection, she was told she was the first to register an ED in the continental US. Picked it up Friday morning, and drove it from Buffalo to Rochester (65 miles, used 75% of battery).

And yes, it's quite amazing. The ride is smooth, the pickup is just crazy. And I love the "UFO noise" it makes. Overall, awesome. Now if only I could figure out how to adjust the damn eco regen settings without paddles. Leave it to smart to introduce a feature that can only be set with custom equipment, and then not offer said equipment. :rolleyes:

I'm betting a software fix will later allow the setting to be set via the on-wheel cruise +/- when cruise is off. Would be the most logical thing to do, since you'd only really want to change it when not using cruise...

1 - 20 of 205 Posts