Smart Car of America Forum banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
before we bought the Smart I checked out the local Nissan dealer and they had no Leafs available for sale, new or used, I thought that odd considering they are the number one EV seller. Then again I wasn't actually planning on buying a Leaf but I was curious to check one out.
Exact same story here. Did the same search, found that Nissan dealers were not interested in selling EV's,

Bought my Smart ED after one test drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought a "used" 2014 Electric Drive with about 300 miles for what seems like a song--10,450. I bought it in the Dallas area, but I live in Austin. Since these were never officially sold in Texas (correct me if I am wrong), will the Smart dealer nearest to me be able to service it? I called and asked. I was put on hold 4 times when I called as they asked around the office, and finally got a confirmation. But it seems like it should not have been a difficult question. So I wonder....
My Smart is telling me it is -20 days due for service. I suppose it is purely age related, because the CarFax indicated the warranty started in July 2014. What will need to be checked? And how much do you think they might charge me?
My ForTwo is totally white, with sunroof. But pretty basic otherwise. I love it so far. I like how nimble it is, the quiet, the surprisingly high sitting position. I am beginning to hate the seat though. The way it breaks in half in the middle of the thigh is rather uncomfortable, as the two parts seem very different in stiffness. Some of the looseness of the dash components are a bit surprising (mostly that part with the door locks), but I guess they work fine. I really wish it had a CD player too. Do any EDs have them, or is this a battery drain?
I have always had small cars, and this is the ultimate for fun and efficiency in city driving. I always liked to track fuel efficiency/mpg, and this electric thing makes that nearly impossible. My electric utility has four-tier pricing that is also different in summer and winter, so it's virtually--if not practically--impossible to determine the cost of charging per mile. Especially since it would be so much work to also try to track what goes into the charger. Science was not my strength in school. :-\
Anyway, I already had someone ride in it with me say "I want one now". Too bad they've been discontinued for now.
I have so much to learn about this new type of transportation.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I really wish it had a CD player too. Do any EDs have them, or is this a battery drain?
I have always had small cars, and this is the ultimate for fun and efficiency in city driving. I always liked to track fuel efficiency/mpg
Anyway, I already had someone ride in it with me say "I want one now". Too bad they've been discontinued for now.
The ED can play music from USB. I use a 8GB USB drive and periodically change the music set from my CD library. I can comfortably fit a dozen albums on USB.

I never worry about efficiency or cost of driving in the Smart ED, it's just so cheap to drive, what's the point of looking after the 5c difference between driving like you want to, or driving efficiently?

Yeah, the friend who rides in an electric car usually responds that way, I've seen that for both of the EV's in our garage. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The -20 days to service can be reset and the #of days before next service adjusted. The latter is a simple menu option. I can never remember the reset sequence but it's in the owners manual of my 2013.

I haven't noticed any looseness in mine. That whole panel of buttons just pulls off. There are screws behind it to take the dash apart. Maybe one of the clips has come loose or broken.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sethdove....that price seems really low. I know this thread is old, but did you confirm that you own the battery? At that price, I suspect not? You can call to verify with MB at 866-700-9853 and tell them the VIN. Do it anonymously of course ;-). Thing is, if you don't own it eventually MB will catch up to you, demand $5k payment or $80 monthly lease. Maybe you're already doing the latter, you didn't say. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A couple other things....charging and logging the costs...just figure out what your night time cents per kwh rate is, and use the time charging option to ensure you only charge up during those hours. Easy to do.

On the loose dash switch panel. Yeah, after mine was pulled once to work on the audio, mine's loose now too. You can pull it off easily, likely the 2 clips holding it in place just need bent wider.

On dealers, I ma sure you found out most MB dealers are not Smart centers, and won't help you a lick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up Cheeto yesterday. He is a 2018 Smart ED and what a blast to drive. Also quite the step up from my 2008 smart fortwo I had prior; she was yellow and silver and had all the options you could have back then, bluetooth wasn't even a thing, nor was a USB port in your car :p

Yesterday I was at 51 eco...today while driving around I was at 91 - I was never one to ride my brakes ever but I am normally fast on the takeaway etc, so I am just modifying how I drive to match the car.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 208 Posts