Smart Car of America Forum banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you have a feature demonstration, they'll probably do that in the customer drop off part of the repair shop. That will be a good time to check soc.

Regardless, plug it in asap.

With the weather, wear warm footwear or plan to have child get or eat charge with the blower. I've noticed that the estimated range drops by around 20% with the blower on (somewhat consistent with other's experiences). Planned well, you might make it to RIT.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've noticed that the estimated range drops by around 20% with the blower on (somewhat consistent with other's experiences). Planned well, you might make it to RIT.
I thought I read somewhere that the difference between low blower and high blower was huge - going from 5% to 20%, and that managing the temp so you could keep it on low really helped extend range.

Sounds like you run a very consistent route. Maybe you'll figure out a sweet spot for our climate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wish I could do that. My aim is to keep the price as low as possible, so I'm waiting 5 months for a bare-bones version of the ED. Stupid Midwest! :(
One pedal driving is addictive. Once you've experienced it for long enough to "get" it, you want more.

I've driven Tesla extensively (6 weeks), and have had the Mercedes, VW, BMW, and Leaf all for at least 3 hours. Regen on accelerator is best, on the brake is understandable, but early thinking.

Adjustable regen takes accelerator regen to a whole 'nother level. Spend the $180, it moves the car from below current standard in this area to standing shoulder to shoulder with the best.

http://bit.ly/TKTeslaThroughGlass
http://bit.ly/gTeslaTetonPass
http://bit.ly/1dSWQEf
BMW i3 vs Mercedes B-Class Electric (Exclusive)
http://bit.ly/BMWi3testdrivevid
Tesla Model S Drives Over Teton Pass! | Yellowstone Teton Clean Energy

·
Registered
456 Posts
One footed driving is addictive. Once you've experienced it for long enough to "get" it, you want more.
Totally agree. The recuperation paddles (option I79) is my favorite option. I realize that it is standard nomenclature, but "one footed driving" never has made sense to me. I only use one foot when when I drive my ICE car with automatic transmission. I think the term "one pedal driving" is more accurate. Whatever you call it, it is addictive.

Adjustable regen takes accelerator regen to a whole 'nother level. Spend the $180, it moves the car from below current standard in this area to standing shoulder to shoulder with the best.
I wholeheartedly agree with this as well. I've had my ED for about two weeks now and I'm really starting to get the hang of the paddles. I think the paddles should be made standard. I ordered my ED specifically to get the paddles (there were plenty of ED's without paddles in-stock) and I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the difference between low blower and high blower was huge - going from 5% to 20%, and that managing the temp so you could keep it on low really helped extend range.

Sounds like you run a very consistent route. Maybe you'll figure out a sweet spot for our climate.
I haven't had a chance to really test it, I just based my percentage off the approximately 10-15 mile range drop (at 100% SOC) when I turn the blower on. I don't see any change in the estimate when I switch blower speeds, nor do I see any changes based on the temperature setting. It is possible, though unlikely, that the blower in the '15's have been changed from earlier years and are more efficient.

As for my route, from home in Fairport to work at RIT, it is pretty much a straight shot. The only alterations that I generally make are when I need to run errands on the way to or from work.

Today, I got to "test" the daily range. I knew I could theoretically make it a day or two without charging, but I'd rather plug in and set a departure time... A warm car is always preferable to a cold car. When I went to put mine on to charge during lunch, all the chargers were occupied with fully charged cars and no spots close enough to "steal" the charger. I now know for sure that there's at least FOUR Volts at RIT and a Ford C-Max. The C-Max and three of the Volts were on the chargers at the time and were still there when I left.

At some point I will figure out who to talk to at RIT to improve upon the charging station count and placements. Four chargers is clearly not enough anymore and asking people to use them for no more than four hours per day just doesn't work very well if they work on the East side when the only chargers are on the West side. I work in the middle and it takes 20 minutes to get to the car, move it to the correct lot and walk back. The walk alone, though healthy, is 10 minutes... so there's no time savings to park it in the lot first thing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I don't see any change in the estimate when I switch blower speeds
The change only happens when it changes from off to on, and assumes you're going to set it to blast. Since I set mine only to 1 or 2 most times, the number is off. There's also a bug in the computation that will occasionally make the number "jump" to 0 when the fan and heater is on (somewhere in the 40% left range). Freaked me out the first time it happened. :)

When I went to put mine on to charge during lunch, all the chargers were occupied with fully charged cars and no spots close enough to "steal" the charger.
Are you talking about the bank near 1 Lomb, or in T-Lot? The 1 Lomb chargers are single headed and only reachable in their spot. The T-Lot heads are each dual-headed, and can service about 10 slots near them. They really need to set them up so the heads have parking spots on both sides. That would allow twice the number of cars access to spots that can use the chargers, preventing long-term spot hogging. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
The change only happens when it changes from off to on, and assumes you're going to set it to blast. Since I set mine only to 1 or 2 most times, the number is off. There's also a bug in the computation that will occasionally make the number "jump" to 0 when the fan and heater is on (somewhere in the 40% left range). Freaked me out the first time it happened. :)
I've noticed a couple bugs in the software. I'm not too concerned, they are nuisance bugs and are non-critical.

The first bug I noticed was when I reset the "Reset" display before starting the car. That trip, the reset display showed half as many miles per kWh as the "Start" display.

The second bug I noticed, again on the "Reset" display is that after the reset period for the "Start" display, the miles per kWh displays as 3.9 instead of what it whatever it was reading before shutting off the car. After a minute or two, it displays the correct value.

Are you talking about the bank near 1 Lomb, or in T-Lot? The 1 Lomb chargers are single headed and only reachable in their spot. The T-Lot heads are each dual-headed, and can service about 10 slots near them. They really need to set them up so the heads have parking spots on both sides. That would allow twice the number of cars access to spots that can use the chargers, preventing long-term spot hogging. :)
RIT only recognizes the T-lot heads. I will have to check out 1 Lomb, which I'm assuming is outside the administration building (Building 1).

I definitely agree that they should set up so that there are spots on both sides of the heads. They could also do with more heads around campus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I doubt you will find any ED's with paddle shifters. No need for them. It's a single speed transmission.
I don't see how you can NOT have the regen shifting option. How is it not standard, it's inly a $190 option, yet dealers only have one or two of them! I passed San Jose to SF to get my paddled ED.

I do my whole commute an hardly touch the breaks and I go over a 2000' mountian!

I tried driving in "D" mode just to see and I don't know how you guys do it. It drove me crazy. Honestly the brake pedal itself drives me crazy. Very touchy an the fact that it's pivot point is sub floor and not hanging like standard brake pedals. It just feels weird.

D- I can coast forever down hills, and that's better than having to keep giving the car 5% throttle just to maintain speed. D+ can handle some steep terrain and I gain 15+ miles of range comin down my commute.

Another sad thing is I heard 2016 won't have the option and the ED's will be more plain "vanilla or chocolate" the dealer said. So I snatched up my all white with red interior and regen paddles!

Why would the smart not have these standard? Or cruise control. I mean pick one for it to leave the factory with, so the steering wheel is just sitting their as a blank useless canvas!

Dealer had no 2016 with regen paddle options :( (SF)

I would've bought the E Golf if smart didn't have regen paddles. So great call smart! Now fix my AC ON feature!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ask same question and salesman made it sound like all options have to come from factory. Even little things like daytime running lights and surround sound! The regen is definitely factory done, if not, it would definitely not be $190 from the dealers garage.

If I heard correctly, dealer said 2016 EDs won't even have that option since they are cutting things back to make money. Hard to believe but I hopped on a 2015 with paddles before they ran out and I'd have to ship one over for $500 from another state!

E golf has 3 regen modes standard and the braking drive mode which might be strongest setting. Luckily the smart is way cheaper, also to insure, and oozing with charm! Those E golfs sure are smooth though. They should have Audi emblems.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
Paddles are not on my 2016 and it wasn't even an option.
BUT, if it had been an option you couldn't have gotten CC as you could only have one or the other.

For 70ish mile range my MY2015 "toy of choice," 3-spoke steering wheel WITH recuperation paddles!

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Smart ED Owner

:DHello everyone, I recently purchased a 2014 Smart ED demo with just over 800kms or 500 miles on it. It is white with silver tridion cell accent. This week we will hit 1000miles/1600kms after one month of ownership. The car is a blast:woohoo: I look forward to learning more about the car and being a part of this great community of Smart car enthusiasts, Cheers:Thankyou:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked autotrader.com and found 3 Smart EDs for sale in Ontario, 2 used and 1 new. Mine was not advertised on autotrader and I would imagine most are not advertised if you look at the monthly sales data. Interestingly, before we bought the Smart I checked out the local Nissan dealer and they had no Leafs available for sale, new or used, I thought that odd considering they are the number one EV seller. Then again I wasn't actually planning on buying a Leaf but I was curious to check one out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I nixed the leaf off my list the moment I saw one between two minivans. IT WAS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME SIZE! They appear to be small until you see them next to another car. And the pig nose reminded me of late 2000's Subaru STIs!

161 - 180 of 216 Posts