Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to have some panels replaced to fix a rear end. If the price is right maybe change all the panels. Went to Alexandria Mercedes... they looked at the car and never got back to me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks do you know anyone who can do the replacement
If you got rear-ended then it is an insurance claim against the other driver - or was it a hit and run? Your insurance company will tell you what body shop you can go for both claim estimate, parts and labor. You should not have to do anything.

Or if you are responsible and don't want to do the repair labor yourself, check out any auto body shop. It does not have to be a Mercedes dealer.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you got rear-ended then it is an insurance claim against the other driver - or was it a hit and run? Your insurance company will tell you what body shop you can go for both claim estimate, parts and labor. You should not have to do anything.

Or if you are responsible and don't want to do the repair labor yourself, check out any auto body shop. It does not have to be a Mercedes dealer.
Or it could be that it wasn't a major collision, enough to damage the body panels but not any of the underlying structure, and he doesn't want to take it to a body shop or anything and end up having an accident show up on CarFax. That really screwed me over with my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe. Was hit twice. Once by a drunk driver who managed to clip the rear corner of the car in the middle of winter, which shattered the rear valance, wheel well liner, fender flare, and damaged the rear bumper. All cosmetic damage, but all CarFax shows is that there WAS damage from an accident. Then a tractor trailer was trying to back his trailer between my car and someone else's car like 2 spaces away, and the rear tire of the cab hit the front passenger fender and pushed it in, causing the wheel well liner to dislodge itself and slightly rub the tire. Again, cosmetic damage since nothing was damaged behind the panels.... CarFax only says accident damage.

That's one thing i HATE about CarFax and wish would change. If you're going to go the extra mile to have a history of how many owners the car had and all that other crap, why not have any accidents reported in DETAIL, so that someone can look at it and say "Oh, the plastic bumper cover was replaced? That's not bad." Rather than "Oh, this car was in two accidents. Don't want to go NEAR that."

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
How would Carfax know about it? I presume that only insurance claim work shows up on Carfax reports.

A Carfax report by itself does not say much about the condition of a used car. It only provides help in what to look more closely at.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
If you take your vehicle in to a reputable collision shop. Any type of damage is report to Carfax. Not a big deal. It nice for the next buyer to know the history of a vehicle. A accident is a accident. Big or small.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If you take your vehicle in to a reputable collision shop. Any type of damage is report to Carfax. Not a big deal. It nice for the next buyer to know the history of a vehicle. A accident is a accident. Big or small.
This is true, and @Yinzer, this is what i was referring to. If he buys the panels and replaces them himself, no harm, no foul, no CarFax ding. But to say "an accident is an accident. Big or Small."..... have you ever tried trading in a car with accident history on CarFax? Saying what you did, i'm going to assume not? My 2009 Brabus, when it got hit the first time, it wasn't even a year old. I picked it up April 27, 2009. It got hit mid-December the same year. From that point on, it was never valued anywhere NEAR where it would have been had it not been hit. Believe at one point when i tried trading it in on a VW, Their offer was $3,000-4,000 less than what KBB valued it at for a trade in. And mind you, this was still early in Smart's life here in the US, when they were still relatively sought after and not readily available just sitting on Smart Center lots.

Now.... Do you think that the value of a car would be impacted the same if CarFax had DETAILED accident reports? Such as "low speed rear corner collision, fender cracked, inspection showed no structural damage." Or do you somehow think that the current "Rear end collision, air bags didn't deploy" system of showing "accident history" is comparable, if you even get THAT much reported?

·
Registered
374 Posts
41 years of selling insurance here...
If you can buy the panels and replace them yourself: it's better to have a car that shows up as "clean" on all the reports.
But since you got rear-ended: it's the other guy's responsibility anyway.
(unless it's a hit and run, or the other driver had no insurance...)
Let his company pay for the panels, and you can still replace them:without it showing up.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
This is true, and @Yinzer, this is what i was referring to. If he buys the panels and replaces them himself, no harm, no foul, no CarFax ding. But to say "an accident is an accident. Big or Small."..... have you ever tried trading in a car with accident history on CarFax? Saying what you did, i'm going to assume not? My 2009 Brabus, when it got hit the first time, it wasn't even a year old. I picked it up April 27, 2009. It got hit mid-December the same year. From that point on, it was never valued anywhere NEAR where it would have been had it not been hit. Believe at one point when i tried trading it in on a VW, Their offer was $3,000-4,000 less than what KBB valued it at for a trade in. And mind you, this was still early in Smart's life here in the US, when they were still relatively sought after and not readily available just sitting on Smart Center lots.

Now.... Do you think that the value of a car would be impacted the same if CarFax had DETAILED accident reports? Such as "low speed rear corner collision, fender cracked, inspection showed no structural damage." Or do you somehow think that the current "Rear end collision, air bags didn't deploy" system of showing "accident history" is comparable, if you even get THAT much reported?
As long as your car was fixed correctly. By a reputable collision shop. Big or small damage. Hail damage, scraped bumper, etc. It’s not going to hurt your resale value at. If I were going to buy a used car. I like to know if it’s been repaired correctly. A disclosure of the work done, before I buy. That what Car Fax is all about. Knowledge before you buy. Make sense.

I’d be worried about buying a totaled car, that been rebuilt. Like I had. A 1990 Accord. That was totaled. Rebuilt by a chop shop, in Texas. Resold to a person in Oklahoma. They gave me a call on the phone. They bought my car. Said it was prefect.
Wanted to know if I had any issues with it. I told them Allstate total that car. That information would have been in a Car Fax. If it was available back in 1990.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
As long as your car was fixed correctly. By a reputable collision shop. Big or small damage. Hail damage, scraped bumper, etc. It’s not going to hurt your resale value at. If I were going to buy a used car. I like to know if it’s been repaired correctly. A disclosure of the work done, before I buy. That what Car Fax is all about. Knowledge before you buy. Make sense.

I’d be worried about buying a totaled car, that been rebuilt. Like I had. A 1990 Accord. That was totaled. Rebuilt by a chop shop, in Texas. Resold to a person in Oklahoma. They gave me a call on the phone. They bought my car. Said it was prefect.

Wanted to know if I had any issues with it. I told them Allstate total that car. That information would have been in a Car Fax. If it was available back in 1990.
Again, if Carfax was interested in getting detailed information about what happened, who fixed it, and to what extent, it would be great. But they have the absolute vaguest possible description ever, with whether or not the airbags were deployed being the biggest concern. As I said, my first Smart was hit twice (technically 3 times, but the second time someone only scraped the fender flare on the rear. Happened in a parking lot, and the guilty party either didn't notice what they had done, or didn't care).

Neither time it was hit was there any underlying damage done to the car. Only body panel damage. Both times it was repaired at a reputable body shop (the first one was even a very high-end body shop where I'd expect people to take their Maserati or Bentley). Carfax never said anything more than where the car was hit, and that the airbags were not deployed. That most definitely DOES impact the cars value. Maybe not so much if you're privately selling it, but trying to trade the car in at a dealership, they have no way to show what happened, or find out who fixed it and how well. All they have is that printout that tells them absolutely nothing about what happened. And just like you said, people don't want to buy a car without knowing if and what happened to it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Elemental D. I was just responding to you the other day because you thought you might look for body panels and I was just asking what model/Version do you have because it matters. I asked you if you have a 450, 451, or 453.
I have a brand new rear tailgate panel for a 450, that's all. I tend to think you must have a 451 which is the version of Smart Car that most people have here in the USA.
Thanks, sykes05

1 - 13 of 13 Posts