Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Been watching and learning here for a long time....I own a 2008 FORTWO Passion, new from dealer in 2008, has about 40K miles. Extremely reliable!

My situation....got stuck in the snow recently, had intrepid New Yorkers push me out, but definitely revved and pushed my 2008 Fortwo a lot, maybe 10 minutes of heavy revving.

Now, 5 days later (didn't use it since the incident) I can't get it over about 5MPH. However, even in Park or Neutral, the RPM is EXTREMELY low.

I initially thought I f***ed my transmission(maybe I did), but why does it not even rev SOMEWHAT in Park?

Any advice would be VERY much appreciated.

Thank you, and let me know if you have clue what I need to do!

Marty

·
Registered
427 Posts
It sounds like it’s in limp mode. Are there any fault codes?

You could try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, then relearning gears - shift into each gear and into manual mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what "limp mode" means...! I've had a situation where a rodent ate through my wires and caused my BRAKE LIGHT function to be lit (so I don't have ABS brakes until it is repaired - 10 months ago). But otherwise, nothing different!

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't know what "limp mode" means..
Most modern, computer managed vehicles can detect problems and if it believes the problem is a serious one, it will still allow the vehicle to run but in a degraded mode that minimizes further possible damage to the car's systems. So the engine may not be able to rev high and its power output will be pretty limited, and automated transmissions may be locked in one gear and one gear only (usually second or third gear). It's enough to usually allow you to "limp" home or to the mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who answered! Went to mechanic hooked it up to ODB, and got the code P2158. Cleared it (and the check engine light), and we are all set! Thanks again!

·
Registered
922 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts