Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a big snowstorm headed your way if you're in Virginia or farther north along the east coast. Hope your smarts are prepared. :)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Smoky has been wearing the same Blizzaks I had purchased for All Ball, so we'll be just fine here in NJ. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just went through the snow tire thing out here in OR. Check out the replies under snow tires now available and good luck. Unless you know a snow tire fairy you better get on the phone if you want to be prepared. There are tires out there but they may have to ship them from across the country.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Darn traction control works too well tho LOL

I thought the same thing last year. When I get a new (to me) car when the first snow hits I take it out and try to get a feel for it, and I try to slide around corners etc. When I tried last year it kept correcting itself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't have them either, but I've never used snow tires on any car and have done fine. This car's kind of light, and you've got to pay attention to the streets you drive down-if they've not been plowed you ought to think again.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I had my first experience with very slick conditions in the smart yesterday evening. I'm not sure any FWD or RWD vehicle would have done much better - it was dicey. Flat roads were OK at slow speed, but I was having some serious issues trying to climb snow covered hills. The rear tires would break loose and the traction control would kick in. It was tough to keep it going. Fortunately, I made it to my parent's house and parked the car there since it wouldn't climb my driveway. I do think the light weight is a contributing factor, but again, I'm not sure if anything else in the smart class would have done much better. Using all-season tires instead of snow tires didn't help, I'm sure. Ah well, now I know!

Not really busting on the car, but for climbing slick hills, the 4WD truck is king.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The best thing I've done in 45k miles of smart ownership is install snow tires (General ArticMax). Absolutely light years ahead of all season tires.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
...lots of snow here ...neither car have snow tires and we are doing OK...

jetfuel...is Indiana tho...so freaking flat that on a clear day you can look over the horizon and see the back of your head...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My 450 was being worked on and I had a 451 for a few days with just the stock all season tires. My 450 has WS-60's in 145/65R15 all the way around. Most of my 17 years of winter driving has been with all seasons, that is until I wrote off a car on an icy road. For me, snow and ice radials ever since.

With the 451 I had to fight against the traction control accelerating and cornering and over rely on the ABS to get stopped. The 450 on the other hand minimal wheel slipping under acceleration, I can corner much faster and stay in my own lane and braking is faster and far more controlled. With the ice radials I can travel at posted speeds and not be afraid of icy roads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts