Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our gas filler cap and the Owners Manual both state that we should use only "Premium Plus EN 228 at least 95 RON/85MON". We have interpreted that to mean that we should use US "Supreme" gasoline with an octane rating of "98" or higher.

Is this the correct interpretation?

Ken Alejandro
480 895-2238
[email protected]

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Our gas filler cap and the Owners Manual both state that we should use only "Premium Plus EN 228 at least 95 RON/85MON". We have interpreted that to mean that we should use US "Supreme" gasoline with an octane rating of "98" or higher.

Is this the correct interpretation?

Ken Alejandro
480 895-2238
[email protected]
A 95 Road Octane Number (RON) and a 85 Motor Octane Number (MON) equates to the U.S. designation of a 90 Octane (R+M/2). This octane requirement is based on sea level conditions. At a mile high (Denver for example) the cars require about 2 points less. That's why you'll see 85 octane regular and 89 octane premium there. (The oil companies trying to save a bunch on blending costs). The reason is that a vehicle that is properly tuned to maximize power at hi altitude, will run a less advanced spark than at sea level. I'm not certain how turbocharging or supercharging will affect the hi altitude octane requirement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What about the 2008 US spec models? Will I have to buy premium for those too? Somewhere I read the fuel requirement for the US Spec was regular. Can anyone clarify?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fuel RE- Glider Dude

Glider Dude- Supreme fuel in the U.S is recommended only. I would use it, but I know you don't have to use it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Specs

What about the 2008 US spec models? Will I have to buy premium for those too? Somewhere I read the fuel requirement for the US Spec was regular. Can anyone clarify?
The engine specs for the 2008 thru 2010 are the same. The EPA erroneously posted that the 2010 used regular fuel. My understanding is that the EPA has corrected this. The official words are still 'premium fuel'.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You CAN use regular gas, I wouldn't

The engine management computer will adjust to work on regular (85 octane) gas. It won't hurt your engine.
You will notice less Horsepower and lower mileage when using regular.
If you use premium (like the manufacturer suggests) you will get ALL your Horsepower, and your mileage will be maximized.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I said it before. In my car, the $$ savings for using 85 oct. in not greater than the operating cost of using 85oct. over 93 oct. IE. it cost more to use the cheaper gas.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Not long ago we had a posting that an owner suffered burnt valves and valve seats with 20-something K miles. One of the things that happens with grossly retarded ignition due to low-octane compensation is an increase in exhaust gas temperature. Makes you wonder if that poster was running on 87-octane and cooked his head (and cat).

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have to be frank with you,it amases me as to why people who are fullly aware that the specified grade of gasoline calls for premium 91 octane but yet they have a desire to supply the engine LESS in quality than what is expressly stated.Its no wonder that I drink.I don't want to ,you understand.I HAVE to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There's no problem around these parts, all premium gas is 93 octane. It's gone back down under $3.00 per gallon to $2.93.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts