Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All

I

EDIT 1/27/08! I came back to this thread to read the post from FireFanatics, something must of happened because all that was left of the original post were the above words.

Not remembering what I had said the goal of this post was to get the G&K gray owners to stop by and say HI.

So Hi All

ASM

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I just joined this forum, but have been on others since I bought my 2003 smart car (ZAP G&K conversion) in March 2006. I have one of the first batch of 85 that was shipped out to their dealers, and was on a waiting list for over 2 years to get it.

Our 2003 smart passion coupe is blue with silver tridion, and I have bought a second panel set for it (phat red) which it is currently wearing. We have almost 10,000 miles on the car now since we bought it, and have loved every minute of it!

Tom

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evening

Greetings idahosmart

WELCOME to the forum and thanks for joining in. I'm assuming you have the turbo charged 700CC (61 HP) version, I didn't know G&K was doing the conversions back on the 2003 models (I have the 2006).

By who and where are you getting it serviced?

Where are you getting parts from?

What mods have you done?

What are you getting for mileage?

OOHH what about the snow:eek:

OOHH MANY more questions will follow:D

ASM

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I'm assuming you have the turbo charged 700CC (61 HP) version, I didn't know G&K was doing the conversions back on the 2003 models (I have the 2006).
Yes, it has the 698cc 61HP turbo charged engine, same as used through 2006. ZAP brought a few 2002-2004 models in as well as long as they had this engine. Our smart and some of the other early years were brought to the US in the 2004 timeframe, preceding the 2005 model year, but it took them over 2 years to get all of the approvals and conversions done.

More answers on next reply

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
What mods have you done?
First mod was for the windows, making them hot all the time so that I can roll them up or down without the key on. Second mod is adding a second window control switch for the passenger side window. Both are documented on the http://www.evilution.co.uk/ web site. I have also put in a K&N air cleaner, added floor mats, cup holder and CD-holder, and aftermarket stereo with iPod input.

What are you getting for mileage?
We have been getting about 55mpg highway, 45 city.

OOHH what about the snow
No problems with snow. I have driven on snowy roads quite a bit over the winter. With the weight over the drive wheels, it drives similar to old VW bugs on the snow, with the additional improvements of ABS. You can see pictures of my smart on the snow for a Mardi-Gras parade at http://www.clubsmartcar.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7590 aka smarti-gras.

BTW, I had to break this reply into pieces so that it would allow me to include the hyperlinks in a reply since my post count was still < 3. I have hundreds of posts on the older smart forums out there, also as "idahosmart".

You can see more pictures of my smart on our club web site at www.smartcarclubofidaho.com (it is the phat red one).

Tom

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers

idahosmart

Thanks for all the input, I just bought Snow tires and steel rims from Eddy in Canada free shipping:D

I'm looking forward to the cooler season where I can get mileage details with windows UP and no AC.

OOHH the oil filter modification plate (so we can use standard filters) did you do it? and ALSO did the K&N filter make a difference?

I told you more questions would follow Hee Hee Hee

ASM

ps. I'm bummed more gray owner have not identified them selves, AM I in the wrong spot? is there a thread on a forum that we chat on that I don't know about? If so please direct me to the correct place.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
idahosmart

Thanks for all the input, I just bought Snow tires and steel rims from Eddy in Canada free shipping:D

I'm looking forward to the cooler season where I can get mileage details with windows UP and no AC.

OOHH the oil filter modification plate (so we can use standard filters) did you do it? and ALSO did the K&N filter make a difference?

I told you more questions would follow Hee Hee Hee

ASM

ps. I'm bummed more gray owner have not identified them selves, AM I in the wrong spot? is there a thread on a forum that we chat on that I don't know about? If so please direct me to the correct place.
I have bought several parts and accessories from Eddy in Canada. I highly recommend him as well.

I have not done the oil filter modification. I bought a suction pump to extract the used oil, and have a few spare filters on hand that I ordered. I can't really tell if the K&N air filter improved performance any, but I like the fact that it is a 100,000 mile air filter.

Two other forums have been around for quite a while, with the most traffic being a Canadian forum at http://clubsmartcar.ca/ and a US based forum at http://smartenthusiast.com/. Both are frequented by US owners with gray market 450 series smart cars.

Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry I have not posted here before but I'm still learning my way around this site. I have two 2006 smart passions, one of them is a G&K conversion. Like idahosmart, I too have been posting on ClubsmartCar.ca for some time. Lots of great info on that site.

·
Registered
522 Posts
New grey owner

Hi, I just got a 2006 metallic grey, black trid passion coupe in Seattle, two weeks ago. Love it. No mods yet, though several planned. Cruise control, shift paddles, passenger power window switch on left side, hot 12v plug. Getting used to the throngs of questioners, pointing fingers, and smiles during visits to town. The smart just laps up the attention. This car is as much fun to drive as my '81 Honda Civic, though a bit safer I presume. Just got 53mpg on this gas fill up. Very pleased.
Hopefully, with time the 450 owners will gravitate to this site.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Purchased a 2005 Passion/D'Vinci with 2300 miles on it in Mesa, Arizona. All silver with the glass roof, CD-AM/FM. and Air Conditioning. Vanity plates "SMART05". We use it for 70% - 80% of our driving including freeway travel.

Right now we are getting around 43 MPG around town and about 52 MPG on the freeway . . . we think it is primarily because my wife likes to hot rod from every stop sign just to show she can keep up with all of the traffic, but mainly it's because we use the A/C 100% of the time. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Smart Car Comes To Clairsvillle

Gray Smart Car Comes To Clairsvillle in Belmont County, Ohio.

It's a car so small, it gets some peculiar glances on the road. Now there are a handful in Belmont County.

ST. CLAIRSVILLE, Ohio -- The Mercedes Benz Smart Car gets gas mileage that other car owners can only dream about.

They are so small, you could almost fit two of them in one parking space.
The three-cylinder, turbo-charged engine has enough power to go up to 80 miles an hour.

The phone provided is a residential number. However, there is a video from a local news station. CLICK HERE

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Never checked in

I was just surfing through this site and realized that I have never signed in to be counted as a 450 owner.

My car is a 2005 450 Passion Cpe. Silver Trid/Jack Black panels. Purchased it on Ebay, flew to Columbia, MO to pick up and leisurely drove to Oregon and registered in home city. Drove to Cal. to stay for winter.

Mods so far are:
Luggage Comp. cover
Delipped
Separated key from remote
Remove headlining to expose Panorama roof
Debadge Smart, badge Mercedes
K&N Filter
S-Mann air scoop
Twin tailpipe tip
Lft side switch for Rt window
Ign off window power
Cruise Control (ordered)
Designing trailer Hitch for Camping trailer

Really, really, REALLY enjoy this car.

The most "Smart" thing in my life

Donald LaFavor

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Much show.... No go

I have tried to meet up with any other Smart car owners in the So. Cal area for coffee, car talk, etc, but, so far nobody is that interested. It's sure isn't like it was in the fifties and owning a sport car.

On a Saturday or Sunday a person could drive his or her sports car (MG-Jag-Austin-Triumph-Morris,etc) out to the city limits (Detroit) and park on the shoulder. In a while one of the above mentioned cars would come along, stop, and ask if you need help. When you said you were just waiting for "Like" people, the other person would wait with you. One by one the group would grow and at some point, the whole group would caravan to some coffee shop in a nearby city to talk car talk and general camaraderie prevailed. Those were the days !

To buy a "Smart" proves that you are

Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gray market owner

I just found this forum tonight and am thrilled to find other 450 owners in the US. I knew you were out there somewhere! I bought a 2006 Pulse F1 in July and then another one in Oct. One is corvette yellow and the other is raspberry. Both are silver trid. I have done a few mods to each such as cd and cup holders, floor mats, underseat drawers, axle caps, and spin on oil filter adaptors. I really enjoy the cars and the attention they get as I use them for business advertising. You just can't look at one without smiling. Again, I'm glad to have found some of you and hopefully more in the future and I look forward to reading your posts.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
This is an interesting board but....... most aren't much interested in us "450s".
Rather than learn from the experienced, they prefer spectulative nonsense.

Fortunately, there are several exceptions and the "Admin" works hard.

Just wait, next year when deliveries start, this board will look like a club made up of "Christopher Columbus"s in 2008, oblivious to the fact we were here all along.

Eat, Drink and buy a Smart car.... Tomorrow ye die

Donald LaFavor
PM me, we can chat via email.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Howdy All

Greetings

And Welcome to the new people, Sorry I haven't responded sooner.

I too think as the 2008 roll out begins we Gray market people may see an increase in questions.

Would you believe I'm still not done with the cruse control (Warning GEEK content) the CC adds a bias voltage to the brake sense line, this is so if the line is disconnected it floats up to 12 volts emulating the brake peddle being pushed stopping you from enabling the CC. NOW the MB computer senses the minor voltage and gives me a beeping alarm (WOW did this have me going for awhile).

On a side note WOW has this forum grown my first handle (AFineMan) was the 50th and ASM is 100+ to see over 5K WOW Mr. Smart must be doing something correct.

Later

ASM

·
Registered
183 Posts
Glad to see you are still at it on the cruse control. Had not heard anything about it for awhile. Have you considered just adding a small switch to the brake pedal, maybe under the car on the master cylinder/booster mechanism?
It could easily be fed from the fuse box with no interference from the ECU. With nothing on the market yet you might find a lot of interest from the 451 people.

·
Super Moderator
28,913 Posts
This is an interesting board but....... most aren't much interested in us "450s".
Rather than learn from the experienced, they prefer spectulative nonsense.

Fortunately, there are several exceptions and the "Admin" works hard.

Just wait, next year when deliveries start, this board will look like a club made up of "Christopher Columbus"s in 2008, oblivious to the fact we were here all along.

Eat, Drink and buy a Smart car.... Tomorrow ye die

Donald LaFavor
PM me, we can chat via email.
Hey Don, cut us some slack. Most of us were aware of the smart but for a variety of reasons were not ready to buy the "grey market" version. Kudos to those of you who did take the plunge, and I for one am certainly interested any anything you guys can provide in the way of advance info. We are late comers but are here because we're smart enthusiasts also. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just joined this forum, but have been on others since I bought my 2003 smart car (ZAP G&K conversion) in March 2006. I have one of the first batch of 85 that was shipped out to their dealers, and was on a waiting list for over 2 years to get it.

Our 2003 smart passion coupe is blue with silver tridion, and I have bought a second panel set for it (phat red) which it is currently wearing. We have almost 10,000 miles on the car now since we bought it, and have loved every minute of it!

Tom
Tom,
Where to you get your car serviced? I'm thinking about getting a 450 instead of waiting for the 451. Pros and cons on the 450?

thanks, Jerry

1 - 20 of 73 Posts