Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings! ...and a Question about Camping

Hi from Tallahassee, FL.

I'm considering a camping trip and wondered if an inflatable kayak + a tent would be able to fit in the back of my passion cabriolet.

I'm thinking of the Sea Eagle 370 and the Coleman SunDome 7-foot by 7-foot 3-person Orange tent. Sorry, I can't post the URLs since this is my first post. They're both viewable on Amazon's site.

Also, if anyone has taken their smart camping and not used a trailer, I'd like to know what you were able to fit into your smarty and where I can find it for purchase! Thanks in advance.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Can't help whether that'll fit but I'll say Welcome!

Wish I could help. It's a bit of a trip but we're having a meet in Pensacola tomorrow. I'm considering a little camping trailer for my car.

An alternative if that won't fit, a hitch with a carrier. Below is what a club member in P-Cola did and below that is what I did with my car, I can even carry the family dog back there - beats the roof anyday. :D:rolleyes::p

Once again - WELCOME!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Will you be going alone or bringing someone else along? If you're by yourself you can fold down the passenger seat to carry larger items and increase the cargo capacity. You can fit quite a bit with the seat folded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will you be going alone or bringing someone else along? If you're by yourself you can fold down the passenger seat to carry larger items and increase the cargo capacity. You can fit quite a bit with the seat folded.
Great question! I'll have a passenger to think of as well as the camping gear. The largest thing I've put in smarty so far is a king sized bed frame (just me in the car with it, folded the passenger seat down).

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Can't help whether that'll fit but I'll say Welcome!

Wish I could help. It's a bit of a trip but we're having a meet in Pensacola tomorrow. I'm considering a little camping trailer for my car.

An alternative if that won't fit, a hitch with a carrier. Below is what a club member in P-Cola did and below that is what I did with my car, I can even carry the family dog back there - beats the roof anyday. :D:rolleyes::p

Once again - WELCOME!

That's a clever idea. I wouldn't leave the dog outside while going down the road -- even if he had his own windshield (Mitt got in a little trouble over that one!).:wink:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Hi, back at you from Dunnellon. I have a couple of pakboats puffin 12' that fit without a problem. If you haven't yet purchased a unit take a look at them. They are a little $$ but worth every penny.

Come see us at these shows

I also have a rack and roll trailer to take a couple of hard shells. Either way you can't beat the "smart" way of getting to the water.

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks to all those who responded. I can see I'm going to have to do some planning in order to pull it off, but I definitely think it's doable.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm considering a camping trip and wondered if an inflatable kayak + a tent would be able to fit in the back of my passion cabriolet.
Yes, I am reviving a slightly "Zombie" thread for a somewhat useless but funny anecdote.

Years ago, I was part of a VW Beetle board and one of the members posted about a camping disaster that he had. He and his girlfriend had loaded up the back seat of his Beetle with all of their camping gear, and an old military surplus life raft that they intended to use on the lake near their campsite. While cruising down the highway with the windows down, the girlfriend kept getting hit in the head with a tag that was blowing around, attached to something in the back of the car. She finally got frustrated, grabbed the tag and tried to rip it off.

It was something like this:

I can't even imagine that in a smart. :eek: :rofl:

:smartje.zw.zw:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts