Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day Smart folk.
My name is Steve from Melbourne Australia. A 63 yo semi retired motor enthusiast. We needed a lightweight vehicle to tow around Australia four down behind our motorhome, found and purchased a reasonable condition 2010 Smart 451 MHD with 115.000klms on the odometer. I spent a couple of days servicing and sorting little issues caused by previous owner lack of service. Fabricated the custom Aframe hitching base plate into the cross bar, then proceeded to investigate options of lift kits, off road friendly suspension and all terrain tyres, capable of helping the little car skim over some of the rough Aussie outback terrain. I have learned a lot about the Smart 451 during the past few months, I love the little cars design, simplicity of engineering methodology, and ingenuity of safety and function.
Among many simply improvement mods, I managed to raise the front suspension by 2", without use of after market parts or kits, and witout any scrubbing, fitted BF Goodrich 190 60 r15 Advantage TA Drive tyres to the 5" front rims, as well as the 6.5" rims, I can report that to my liking, the overall grip, steering, driving comfort and suspension compliance on and off the road of the little Smart car, has gone from harsh and lacking, to quite, responsive, grippy, and really comfortable.
The front and back skirts are now about 220mm above the road surface, the taller tyre side walls help absorb the most serious bumps and potholes, the speedo reads about 7% slower than actual speed, the buffering on the freeway seems to be about the same as previously if not slightly worse, but, the higher road clearance, much improved ride quality, and additional off road grip benefits, grossly outweigh any high speed buffering as far as our intended use is concerned. Oh yeah, I also think it looks so much better higher off the ground, and with the wheel arches filled in by a chunkier all weather tyre.
I have owned and have worked on hundreds of differing cars since my first (64 Mini) car at the age of 16, I did not think that I could become as impressed nor excited about any car at this age, as I have been about this little pocket rocket of a Smart 451. I enjoy reading your informative forum threads, and hope that my experience may be of use to some of you.
Cheers.
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Steve, It is Brian in Sydney. Since you like to DYI and maybe put some load on the car. I would suggest change your transmission oil. You need to buy Pro Gear Full Synthetic 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil. You can get other brands, but they sell this in Australia. The important thing is it must be 75W-90 and GL-4. There are lots out there which are Gl4/5 but don't use those. They have too much sulphate and after a while will wear out your trany. Mercedes says you never need to change your transmission oil. THEY ARE WRONG. They want your car to break so they can fix it and charge you lots of money.

After I changed mine the car shifts much smoother and you will notice a huge difference.
If you like to ask me more you can call my mobile. 0438486591

Cheers Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts