Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; I'm another newbie! :)

I picked up my 2 year old Passion Cabrio a bit more than a month ago.

I fell in love with them in Italy and as the parking situation in NYC is abyssmal... I had to have one! I really always wanted to have an old Alfa Spider - but that would really be impossible to park on a NYC street, so my only condition was my Smart had to be a cabrio!

I am still trying to figure it all out (they haven't shipped me the manual, yet), but aside from that seriously annoying drag when shifting gears in automatic... I'm really liking it! :smartje.bl.zw:

I'm not 100% there yet - only because I bought it used, and I have no trust in car dealers in general... so I'm kind of suspicious of every rattle and unfamiliar feeling or sound.

Nice place you have here! A wealth of information!

·
He's not mine
9,612 Posts
Wow, someone who bought the "City Car" for it's originally intended purpose! Heh.

Welcome aboard. If you ever get out of the city it also doubles as a road car.

I only responded though to note that automated manual mode is your main complaint, and rightly so. It sucks. Since you have a cabrio, you have paddles, correct? Use them, you'll like it a lot better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've started using them on & off... my last car (a 3 cylinder Chevy Metro) was a traditional standard shift... it's weird not having a clutch pedal, or shifting into neutral when I need to.

There's an odd little... "hesitation" in reverse - sometimes - particularly when going slightly downhill... like backing out of a driveway, for instance.

The left brake light died, then was working, then died, now is working again. Like I said, I'm in love, but slightly suspicious...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a former New Yorker.
While the car is in D just depress the pedal more as it shifts to the next gear. This will help smoothen the acceleration out.
You'll also realize when driving in D at a shopping center at about 5-10 mph the car buckles;
this is normal for the smart. To remedy this-- just put the tranny in manual.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts