Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hear and feel a grinding when doing a hard left turn. Sound appears to be coming from the passenger front. A more gentle turn does not produce the sound. Seems to happen after the brakes are warmed up a bit. No sound on hard right turns or straight driving.

Sound goes away after straightening out of the turn. Could be because when it happens I step on the brakes a bit - scary sound.

My thought might be a bad caliper piston and the pads float durning the hard turn.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
could be, or maybe a wheel bearing going bad?? My Century had a bent backing shield on the front rotor that would make noise occasionally..

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
What model year, how many miles - have pads ever been changed?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What model year, how many miles - have pads ever been changed?
2012, 58k miles, I just changed the pads and rotors, used a silicone lube. I am going to pull the caliper, reclean and relube with a caliper glide product - including the pins.

It is just frustrating, this was suppose to be a maintenance year, and has become a maintenance and repair. Just had the rear brake cylinder replaced

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to replace the struts and the right front wheel bearing on mine.But mine would make noise between 40 and 50 mph going straight.It does look like something has leaked on yours so i don't know.In case you don't know the inner and outer bearing is made as a "non serviceable unit" it has to be pressed out and back in.Smart made it like that so they could use the bearing as a reluctor for the ABS system. I managed to press the old unit out with my 20 ton shop press but had to take it to work and use a bigger press to put the new one back. I got my bearing from Rock auto couldn't find it local. $40.79+shipping the struts came from Advance auto $139.26 for both. Had to order the bushings and bearings for the top of the struts from Rock auto I've lost the receipt but i think it was about $30 for the pair
Good luck
Roger

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to replace the struts and the right front wheel bearing on mine.But mine would make noise between 40 and 50 mph going straight.It does look like something has leaked on yours so i don't know.In case you don't know the inner and outer bearing is made as a "non serviceable unit" it has to be pressed out and back in.Smart made it like that so they could use the bearing as a reluctor for the ABS system. I managed to press the old unit out with my 20 ton shop press but had to take it to work and use a bigger press to put the new one back. I got my bearing from Rock auto couldn't find it local. $40.79+shipping the struts came from Advance auto $139.26 for both. Had to order the bushings and bearings for the top of the struts from Rock auto I've lost the receipt but i think it was about $30 for the pair
Good luck
Roger
Thank you for your comment. Yes, I know the hub/bearing assembly is a press fit, and if I do myself I need to find a shop to remove and replace a new hub assembly in the knuckle assembly. I watched SKFs video on YouTube showing the process on a smart car hub assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts