Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed after I put in my springs according to zimmer video. I hear a clunking noise when I hit a bump, like the shocks are lose. Anyone else have that issue or have an inclination of what the noise might be.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put the correct springs in. The paper indicates that the (R) printed on the shock (along with the writing right side up) is the way you install it. I am thinking the shocks are looks because it only happens when I hit a bump going up.. I had something similar to my truck, the shocks were lose and and identical sound would be made.

I just wanted some input before I pull off the wheels and get into the shock to tighten it up.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I ignore the markings and put the thick wire springs in the back and the thinner in front.
L and R have no bearing.
Make sure the plastic isolators are in there and in correctly.

add: the markings on the rear spring are

29067 HA (R)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I've had the H&R springs for almost a month, but they sat in a box as I had no time to install them.

Today I had a mechanic put on both the front and rear springs -- less than 10 miles on 'em. No issues.

If I hear anything, I'll post it.

geosynch

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had my H&R springs on for over a week now no problems at all,i had front and rear fitted, handles better and more importantly (to me anyway)
looks great, sits just right now with my 17" alloys. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting I tried tightening up the shocks yesterday and I still hear a noise, but now its only coming from one side. On that side (drivers side) I actually got close to stripping the entire diamond bolt that holds the shock in on the frame. Anyone in socal with these same springs???

I also did not install the front springs as I like the ride even, as opposed to angled. I am wondering if this is why the noise is happening. You should be able to lower the back without doing the front - correct?

I order extra bolts from a Universal Smart Car to replaced my stripped bolt. I'll let you know what I find out if that fixes it.

Are any of you going to Los Alamitos this weekend for the car meet? If so I will see you there and probe your mind for answers to this problem.

Finally have any of you checked the assembly of the shock. Its a piece of crap (even though its a bilstein shock). Typical shocks have a lock bolt to help tighten the shock the body, the smart one doesnt have it, and in addition to that I am trying to figure out how to tighten the shock more when I tighten the shock from the engine bay while holding the shock cup, the shock's main rod is turning with the lock nut that I am tightening. How do I tighten that up?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interesting I tried tightening up the shocks yesterday and I still hear a noise, but now its only coming from one side. On that side (drivers side) ...

...I also did not install the front springs as I like the ride even, as opposed to angled. I am wondering if this is why the noise is happening. You should be able to lower the back without doing the front - correct?...

...the shock's main rod is turning with the lock nut that I am tightening. How do I tighten that up?
Trying to be delicate here...
are you "heft challenged?"
The H&Rs are made as a progressive or rising rate and they go into coil-bind to keep increasing rate as they are compressed.
If they get to solid, they will crash.

I've run the car in all different attitudes, that alone won't cause noises.

The best way I know is to use an air tool to tighten the top, but that shouldn't be your noise if it didn't make one before the switch.
rz

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trying to be delicate here...
are you "heft challenged?"
The H&Rs are made as a progressive or rising rate and they go into coil-bind to keep increasing rate as they are compressed.
If they get to solid, they will crash.

I've run the car in all different attitudes, that alone won't cause noises.

The best way I know is to use an air tool to tighten the top, but that shouldn't be your noise if it didn't make one before the switch.
rz
I found out what the problem is heheheh is ok Randy...you dont have to be delicate. I dismounted everything and remounted everything, tightening up the bolts correctly fixed up everything. ID10T error on my own fault.

Thanks for the replies though

·
Registered
186 Posts
yeah im getting the clunking noise as well .. what do you find was the cause? just had them installed i figured that was the normal sound but if it isnt what should i look for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts