Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have had enough with this lil guy and not having any where to work on it.

2008 Passion 165xxx (?) miles

Red/black with tan interior
New battery
New all season radials, with extra pair of snows 185/55-15
3 spoke wider rims
AreA451 cruise w/pedal mapping
New front shocks, all 4 new springs from an ED
New RF wheel bearing

now the bad...
has 3 bars on gear display, I believe the shifter is bad, Have a replacement one.
Exhaust is getting loud, I suspect a flex hose, replacement exhaust included.
Currently won't start because of trans, but was my daily driver until a spring broke and while replacing them the grandson started the car and I believe hit the shifter when he shut it off. I have so far, replaced battery, lubricated the clutch actuator, and replaced the air box with a silicone tube.

Asking $1800

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sad to read this, but hopefully some one will adopt her and keep her going. I feel your frustration regarding no place to work. Our garage is filled to the rafters which leaves me with no alternative but to watch the weather and pray for good days. Too many projects, not enough space!
Paula

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garage? I'd be happy with a stinkin driveway!! right now I have 6 cars sitting and 3 don't work. Had a smart for the last 11 years now and it is time to move on to other interests. Love my smart and I have too much money tied into it in parts not to mention time and labor but you gotta know when to pull the plug. Someday I will figure out when

·
Registered
158 Posts
We do our best to keep the projects under control, more or less only one at a time. We have the outdoor room and large driveway, but indoor room is limited.
Take a look at your inventory of projects, each and everyone of them must have great meaning. My point is down the road 30 years from now, you’re not going to see the chevy Equinox or the Ford Echo or any of these new disposable cars being restored. It’s the unique that will be in demand. Your Smart, although not running now, will be one of those that will be in demand.
I feel Your pain when it comes to feeling overwhelmed, when you feel that way, it’s time to disconnect for a while, step back and wait out the weather, wait out the issues. They will not fix themselves, but come back to it at a later time and you will see a relaxed confident head prevails.
Your smart reminds me of the Samurai we restored. Every week I was ready to throw in the towel, at times nothing went right, and I stepped away from it, well over a year until all the issues were ironed out.
What ever you decide it’s the right decision...
Just be well, stay healthy and safe.
Paula

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
You sure over the years. Have gotten your money worth out of your smart cars. Did you even take it to a smart dealership, for them to fix. Or is it just not worth the trouble, and you just walk away.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealership is 45+ miles away.... It was already in the back yard as I was replacing springs and shocks, when I found the noisy wheel bearing. As I was replacing it, that is when the shifter got 'bumped' and here I am.... 150 feet from the street, about a foot of snow, and too cold to work on it outside. Not gonna sit in a snowbank at 17F temps and remove the seats to get to the shifter. If it doesn't sell, I'll work on it when it warms up. It doesn't owe me a dime as it has worked well since I got it 4(?) years ago.

·
Registered
158 Posts
As much as I love my Smart, I wouldn’t work in the snow either. It sucks the life out of you and the thought of it sounds like failure is imminent.
If what you say is true and I’m certainly sure it is, that it doesn’t owe you a dime, Jim you owe it too yourself to wait out the weather, put her in hibernation and pick up the pieces when your comfortable enough to work on her.
Best of luck to you Sir, keep warm and safe.
Paula

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so how do I drive 2 Land Rovers at the same time?? Couldn't pass up on the first one, or the second one. First one I towed it home for $600 and fixed a burnt wire. Plus some more over time, been 7 years and 100K miles. Second one came home 2 weeks ago. I reset the error codes and drove it out of the garage it was stuck in. Still needs some work, but it does run...Paid $900 for that one. Both are 1997 and a 1998.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.