Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my Madness HIDs went tango-uniform while I was away from home, or so I was informed by my housekeeper who had the car. So I ordered some replacement arc tubes (assuming A.) the arc tube was far more likely to be the culprit, and B.) if one's gone, the other can't be far behind...) So yesterday was Headlamp Tech Day in the driveway...

As it turned out, the ballast was actually the issue - it had popped off the back of the headlamp housing and filled with rainwater, thus shorting the ballast and roaching out the fuse. New ballast is on its way, when it arrives we'll have Headlamp Tech Day #2 .

I also pulled apart my lamp housings and installed some "Angel Eye" CCFL tubes for halos on the low beams and turn signals... They're gonna look great when done, unfortunately I seem to have busticated the driver's side low beam tube while trying to run the wiring through the headlamp housing to the ballast... Replacement 90mm ring ordered. I'll put that in whenever the new ghost ring arrives...

I'll also try to take a better photo of the result... This was shot waaay late at night after spending waaaay too much time working on the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of my Madness HIDs went tango-uniform while I was away from home, or so I was informed by my housekeeper who had the car. So I ordered some replacement arc tubes (assuming A.) the arc tube was far more likely to be the culprit, and B.) if one's gone, the other can't be far behind...) So yesterday was Headlamp Tech Day in the driveway...

As it turned out, the ballast was actually the issue - it had popped off the back of the headlamp housing and filled with rainwater, thus shorting the ballast and roaching out the fuse. New ballast is on its way, when it arrives we'll have Headlamp Tech Day #2 .

I also pulled apart my lamp housings and installed some "Angel Eye" CCFL tubes for halos on the low beams and turn signals... They're gonna look great when done, unfortunately I seem to have busticated the driver's side low beam tube while trying to run the wiring through the headlamp housing to the ballast... Replacement 90mm ring ordered. I'll put that in whenever the new ghost ring arrives...

I'll also try to take a better photo of the result... This was shot waaay late at night after spending waaaay too much time working on the project.
We hope to see finished pictures. I love my halo lights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking to see what halos used on White Smart car above. Wondering what sizes used and how they attached (stay in place) inside the housing. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking to see what halos used on White Smart car above. Wondering what sizes used and how they attached (stay in place) inside the housing. Thanks for any info.
Peedy,
I purchased my halos off ebay. Sizes are 80mm and 100mm they are attached by using all purpose adhesive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Peedy,
I purchased my halos off ebay. Sizes are 80mm and 100mm they are attached by using all purpose adhesive.
Thanks for the quick reply and sizing info. I am looking for RGB rings which at this time only come in the SMD style. They are super bright, but will allow me to change color as desired.
I live in Fort Worth Texas and Oracle lighting of Houston is about 3 - 4 hours away. They sell/install Halos along with custom designs for Smarts. Contemplating making the drive soon for Halos like yours above along with Halos in my lower fogs.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I I bought my CCFL kits from Retro-Solutions.com. The smaller, upper rings are 77mm and the projector rings are 90mm. I glued the upper rings to the lens of the turn indicator with epoxy, and attached the 90mm rings to the projector rings with thin stainless steel safety wire (google it). I'm not convinced the ballasts are 100% waterproof - I've had a few flickers on rainy days - but I love how they came out.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the info...I ended up sending mine off to oracle to have lights put in along with painting the housing. Should have them back on Sat and just finished wiring up the controller I have for the RGB lights.

25 Posts
Bringing back an old thread, does anyone know the best adhesive to use? I got gorilla glue clear epoxy but am wondering if it will hold up in the winter time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
If the halo, angel thing burns out and needs to be replaced, epoxy/glue may not be the best fitment method. I have seen those lighting devices held in place with thin wire wraps.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

1 - 11 of 11 Posts