Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a APRS transmitter and tried it out today in the smart. Then things went south...
First about APRS. APRS is a combination of GPS and a ham radio transmitter. Basically it takes your location and sends out a packet of info out on a specific ham freq. Every two minutes it sends out a 10 watt signal.
This particular device fits in a small Pelican case, batteries and all.
After starting the smart, I turned it on when I was leaving work and put it up on the dash so the GPS could receive better. I put the car in gear and... no throttle. The engine was running fine. I shut off the car and tried again. The throttle was fine. Went down the street and about two minutes later, No throttle. Not good when the light turns green and car no move! I still had not put it together yet. Got to the store I was going to and the car was fine. I thought about what had just happened and the (APRS) tracker was the only change. Turned that tracker off! Now I had a yellow check engine light. I checked the scangauge and there were two codes. P1D00 and P1D01. I have not googled them yet.
Anywhoo... I was just two short blocks from the smart dealer and I went there. They are going to plug into the car tomorrow morning and let me know what is up. Good thing I still have my other vehicle. They gave me a ride home.
The only thing I can figure is that the "pulse" from the tracker on the dash overwhelmed... something under the dash. Hopefully they can just reset the light and I won't do this again!
I will let you know.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Page 220 in the owners manual:

Warning!

Never operate radio transmitters
equipped with a built in or attached
antenna (i.e. without being connected to
an external antenna) from inside the
vehicle while the engine is running. Doing
so could lead to a malfunction of the
vehicle’s electronic system, possibly
resulting in an accident and/or serious
personal injury.
:)

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Doesn't seem to apply to Bluetooth items since no one has reported any similar issues with them. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've used my hand-held in the car a fair bit without any issues...but then I wasn't right on top of the dash...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally they called me back. They say the Area 51 cruise control is messing up the diagnostic check on the computer port. I now have to go get the car and remove the cruise control. Then take it back so they can find the problem. I have 2,000 miles on that cruise control with no problems. I may have to send the cruise control back to have it checked too.
Craaaap!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the adventure continues.
Tried to get those pesky pins out... No such luck. Then I noticed that the plug that goes into the Area 51 controller has the same wires going into it side by side. Same exact colored wires. So I made jumpers out of some wire and simply jumped across all nine pins to the same colored wire across the plug. I then checked to make sure each wire had continuity across the gaps. Taped the whole thing up with several layers to avoid a short. Reconnected the battery and the car started no problem. Closed everything back up and took it back to the dealer. On Monday, he can find out if there is a problem or not with a computer check - without the Area 51 in the mix.
He told of another smart which was having a problem with the cruise control and a check engine light. He agreed that mine was a different problem since the cruise control has been working flawlessly for months now.
All warranty work - so far.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a call today. They have had the car since Monday. Can't find anything wrong with the computer scan. Picked it back up today - no charge for either visit. Now I will reconnect the Cruise Control and see what happens. Hmmmppphhh!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Took the jumpers out and reconnected the Cruise Control. Everything works fine.
My 451 cruise control hasn't worked from day 1. But then I am a naughty boy because I got one sent to me from Canada and the maker (who didn't want to sell it outside of your shores) is a bit miffed that one got away, like it's too much work to check out a non US/Canadian car. I still don't understand what can be different about a European/UK car....
Like your story about the jumpers though, when they do actually come up with a plan to fix/reprogram my cruise control I shall be doing the same as you.

I had great fun with a mobile radio years ago. It wasn't in a smart because they hadn't designed it yet, and the radio was actually a CB radio on AM, same as you guys have (UK use only FM); mine was a Cobra 148 which had 360 channels instead of the the legal 40, and on the lowest band, as I went into a garage for petrol, I discovered a high pitched noise coming out of my set speaker. I got out, removed the outside antenna (to dumb the signal) and turned the channel knob until HEY here was this massive signal. It was from the computer in the forecourt office. I had heard about this. I had a linear amplifier of 100w on board, and after putting the antenna back on, I began filling my car whilst idly hiding the microphone in my other hand, I had pulled it through the half shut door and it was down out of sight.
As I was nearly full I squeezed the mic for a brief second, so I was sending a quick 100w burst of AM. Nothing blew up. But every pump in the garage suddenly turned off, all the lights went out on the displays. The office girl was looking at the computer and it was completely dead. She ran to get the manager and the two were standing looking around in horror.
Everybody wandered inside to ask what was going on. They restarted the computer and it had no record of the dozen or so fillups that were happening when it went off. They had no idea how much everybody had put in their tanks and we were all asked to offer where we thought we were when it had happened. That was a cheap fill-up. All of a sudden a little while later these notices started appearing in all the fuel stations saying things like danger from transmissions, but the real danger was to the loss of their profits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts