Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2008 Fortwo and I love it. But as I was going through the car I realized that the parking brake doesn't work. No tension at all. I brought it to my mechanic and he confirmed that something is wrong but he's not sure what. He's thinking the cable is either snapped at the handle or somewhere along the way to the rear brakes. He hasn't worked on very many smart cars so he told me he's going to do some research on how to disassemble the handbrake to diagnose the problem.

I did some searching on this forum as well as Evilution but couldn't turn up any info.

Has anyone taken apart the handbrake assembly or had a snapped cable before?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts

1 Hand brake cables
2 Sleeve
3 Brake carrier plate
4 Pull rod rocker
5 Frame-type integral support
6 Axle tube

1 Pull rod
2 Handbrake cable
3 Rocker
4 Mount
5 Guide sleeve
6 Gasket

5 Guide sleeve
7 Floor Covering
8 Catch hook

:)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Ran into this issue while replacing the engine in my Dad's smart. We put the rear subframe back in, and had no parking brake.

Here is what you need to check:

The Pull rod marked #1 in the second set of pictures jwight posted has "teeth" or serrations on the driver's side that engage the hand brake lever. It doesn't show it in the picture, but it is actually a flat plate. If someone had dropped the subframe and not oriented that piece correctly when they re-assembled the car, then it didn't slide back up into the hand brake handle correctly. In our case, it actually missed the slot it is supposed to go in, and was at an angle. You can carefully pull the carpet back at the slit, and see where it goes in the handle. After lifting the parking handle all the way, I used a screw driver to flip the pull rod around to the correct orientation, and lowered the handle onto it. Worked perfectly after that. It is actually quite the ingenious design. Nothing to take apart to lower the cradle.

If that isn't it, you will need to see if something is unhooked at #3 "rocker" under the car. That wil be tough, because it's near impossible to get to...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts