Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Witch will effect handling more Toe Out or Toe In. I mean twitchy and darting with little steering movement. :confused:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Handling:

Toe won't do much for handling. If your toe is out, you will get irregular tire wear. Camber & caster as well as SAI effect handling. These angles are built into the smart and non-adjustable. Toe is the only angle that you can adjust.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Toe-out on the front wheels will generally result in poor directional stability (darting and wandering). A tiny bit of toe-in is normally needed for stability.

·
17,353 Posts
Toe-out due to the Ackermann affect.

All right, all right, here is the link. I'm not typing all that.

Ackermann steering geometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Off topic: I love Wikipedia. I started by reading that article you posted there, then by clicking a link in a paragraph, the Wiki for Rack and Pinion. From there Rack Railway, then to U.S. Rack Railways, to the Chicago Tunnel Company, to the Chicago Flood, and finishing off with the Chicago Deep Tunnel System.

Boom, learned a lot today. :cool:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ackerman is only relevant when the steering is off center (i.e. you are turning) and that's not where you set alignment ... you set alignment with the steering straight ahead, and if there are instability/wandering issues, that's normally noticed when driving straight ahead. Normal static alignment specs on rear drive cars call for zero to slight toe-in. The smart is no different.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/front-end-allignment-specs-19659/

Some front-drive cars allow a bit of toe-out because the normal driving forces pulling on the suspension compensate for it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you want twitchy and darting or no?

My 09 passion has always been twitchy since i bought it about 6 months ago. I installed 17in. Genius wheels and yokohama s drives on it. it handles OK, just looking at the front it looks as if front tires are toed out too much.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Ackermans angle is the different steering arcs the front wheels travel in a turn. You draw lines through the outer tie rod joint from the king pin or spindle pivot and both lines should intersect in the middle of the rear axle. Any amount of toe in you set static should become 0° when you drive and all the play in the bushings is taken up.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Ackerman is only relevant when the steering is off center (i.e. you are turning) and that's not where you set alignment ... you set alignment with the steering straight ahead, and if there are instability/wandering issues, that's normally noticed when driving straight ahead. Normal static alignment specs on rear drive cars call for zero to slight toe-in. The smart is no different.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/front-end-allignment-specs-19659/

Some front-drive cars allow a bit of toe-out because the normal driving forces pulling on the suspension compensate for it.
If the tires are excessively towed out the steering is off center because one or the other tires is trying to steer the car, and this requires constant correction. It is very hard to maintain a straight ahead direction because the slightest variation will cause the car to dart one way or the other. Moving the steering slightly off true center will have one tire straight ahead and the other more towed out, thus trying to steer the car in that direction.

The question was not about the proper way to align the car, it was very specific.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts