Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a member of a smart car Facebook page A topic came up Yesterday. Hankook, is stopped producing the tire size. For the 451 Brabus. I check out the Tire Rack not available. Continental, Good Year, Dunlop, Brigstone, etc. don‘t manufacture that tire size.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,124 Posts
If you find any pairs good chance they may be old stock - be sure to ask for the DOT build date BEFORE offering up your CC!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Amazon, where I bought mine about a year says their vendor, Autoplicity has them for just $182.04 :oops: I want to say I paid $130 direct from Amazon last February

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got a pair of these put aside (stored at room temperature, out of sunlight) for when I wear out the current Yoko S-drives (225/35/17) that became no longer made in 2019...

about $100 a tire shipped:

Might be a better tire than the Hankooks as the tread design is easier to match in the front.
One thing I've noticed running 185/50/16 front and 225/35/17 rear is I don't like the 40mm width difference between front and rear (too much understeer) and will probably go down to the OEM 20mm width difference on the next tire set.

The 15/17" 'USA' Brabus wheels would probably be better served with 185/55/15 front, 205/40/17 rear anyways - cheaper and W ratings on the tires.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I should have said 'no longer available' in North America.
Yep, they are still being made (and available) in Europe - they cut us off in North America in 2019.

You can still get them at least for $200 a tire and $100 a tire shipping from Europe :)
That's why I linked the $100 delivered to your door tire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Mailman, here’s a good one. I ordered a set of 175/55/15’s and a set of 215/35/17’s (Hankook) from WalMart, a couple weeks go by and they notify me that three of the four tire are there. Another week goes by and still only three tires so I go on Amazon and order them and the are delivered to my door two days later. ( same tire but a little cheaper) So I cancel my WalMart order. Three weeks go by and I go to my locale WalMart and walk in the side door by the auto service and ask if they have any Hankook 215/35/17 he looks at me and said we just put a set on sale $125.00 a piece ( they were &168.00) I said I’ll take them!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's great - you got yourself a discount -- and you paid less for two rear tires than the single yoko s-drive hambach got from the UK..

mattwithcats also brings up a good point that in the case of the Hankooks, the fronts are T rated and rears are H rated.
The 175/55/15 made by Continental is the 450 & 451 OEM Rear tire and is also T rated.
Which means a replacement tire must be T rated or better (to meet OEM specs, insurance purposes, liability, blah, blah).

That's why I stated, "The 15/17" 'USA' Brabus wheels would probably be better served with 185/55/15 front, 205/40/17 rear anyways - cheaper and W ratings on the tires."

No, the smart car won't go over 100mph, but in these sizes you get a better tire for less money.
Y > W > V > H > T (where the Smart tire spec is) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts