Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a member of a smart car Facebook page A topic came up Yesterday. Hankook, is stopped producing the tire size. For the 451 Brabus. I check out the Tire Rack not available. Continental, Good Year, Dunlop, Brigstone, etc. don‘t manufacture that tire size.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
296 Posts
I got a pair of these put aside (stored at room temperature, out of sunlight) for when I wear out the current Yoko S-drives (225/35/17) that became no longer made in 2019...

about $100 a tire shipped:

Might be a better tire than the Hankooks as the tread design is easier to match in the front.
One thing I've noticed running 185/50/16 front and 225/35/17 rear is I don't like the 40mm width difference between front and rear (too much understeer) and will probably go down to the OEM 20mm width difference on the next tire set.

The 15/17" 'USA' Brabus wheels would probably be better served with 185/55/15 front, 205/40/17 rear anyways - cheaper and W ratings on the tires.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I should have said 'no longer available' in North America.
Yep, they are still being made (and available) in Europe - they cut us off in North America in 2019.

You can still get them at least for $200 a tire and $100 a tire shipping from Europe :)
That's why I linked the $100 delivered to your door tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Mailman, here’s a good one. I ordered a set of 175/55/15’s and a set of 215/35/17’s (Hankook) from WalMart, a couple weeks go by and they notify me that three of the four tire are there. Another week goes by and still only three tires so I go on Amazon and order them and the are delivered to my door two days later. ( same tire but a little cheaper) So I cancel my WalMart order. Three weeks go by and I go to my locale WalMart and walk in the side door by the auto service and ask if they have any Hankook 215/35/17 he looks at me and said we just put a set on sale $125.00 a piece ( they were &168.00) I said I’ll take them!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's great - you got yourself a discount -- and you paid less for two rear tires than the single yoko s-drive hambach got from the UK..

mattwithcats also brings up a good point that in the case of the Hankooks, the fronts are T rated and rears are H rated.
The 175/55/15 made by Continental is the 450 & 451 OEM Rear tire and is also T rated.
Which means a replacement tire must be T rated or better (to meet OEM specs, insurance purposes, liability, blah, blah).

That's why I stated, "The 15/17" 'USA' Brabus wheels would probably be better served with 185/55/15 front, 205/40/17 rear anyways - cheaper and W ratings on the tires."

No, the smart car won't go over 100mph, but in these sizes you get a better tire for less money.
Y > W > V > H > T (where the Smart tire spec is) :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Mailman, I stopped at WalMart again tonight and they still had the front tires. Marked down from $103.00 to $70.00 I couldn’t resist!! I got a complete replacement set front and back
Tire Automotive tire Product Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's not like you are going to use up the first set of tires with only 8,000 miles on the car.
Might as well sell them local to another smart owner for their Rear tires :)

But I'll remember your trick for when I need tires again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts