Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting together a harbor freight 40x48 trailer with the 12" wheels, and basically making it a tag-along roof rack. Thought some of you might be interested in this. I'm trying to keep the whole thing as inexpensive as possible, and I'll list approximate pricing for anyone interested. This is a follow up from this thread: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/carrying-bike-skis-43727/

Alright, I've got the "rack" frame put together and my roof box and bike racks.
Got the roof box brand new in box from somebody on craigslist for $75, and $90 for the two yakima bike racks from another craigslist user. I was going to order some knock off ones on amazon, but when bikes that cost as much as the whole trailer setup are on the line, I'd rather get the real deal. The iron pipe, which will be painted in good ol' rustoleum black was about $90 for all the parts. That puts us at about $255 so far. I went with this instead of trying to attach everything directly because it leaves my options open. I can attach kayak carriers, a ski rack, take four bikes instead of having the box- you get the idea. Here is the rack and accessories assembled. I'll be picking up the trailer, some LED trailer lights, a spare wheel/tire and a 4 way harness in a week or two. Been saving up my 25 and 20% off harbor freight coupons.

Thanks for looking! Let me know if there are any questions.

·
17,358 Posts
I can't wait until I have a definite answer from MBFS about my lease end.

My next mod is a towing hitch and Harbour Freight trailer. Especially since there's now a Harbour Freight in my town!!!

·
17,358 Posts
Because you can easily convert the bike racks into a snowboard rack, ski rack, etc. So you could essentially take two bikes and two snowboards if you wanted to.

·
Super Moderator
11,232 Posts
Similar, the trailer was from Menards and I used it behind my Goldwing when I went camping. I added the hitch to my Pure and the wife used it for kayaks, I used the box for hauling stuff to the recycling center, etc.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Dinoot on an Harbor Freight Trailer?

The Dinoot has a box that fits onto the Harbor Freight trailer.

They have a 'rack' that could carry the cargo unit?
:nerd:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Dinoot has a box that fits onto the Harbor Freight trailer.

They have a 'rack' that could carry the cargo unit?
:nerd:
I dig it, but the box alone is twice my total budget, and the roof rack would work for the bikes ( the roof carrier has no use if I have a box on the trailer), but it would make accessing cargo with the bikes mounted more difficult than I would prefer. Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Great trailers! BigWarpGuy always comes thru with new ideas. I have the Harbor Freight Tag-O-Long. I am not sure if that model is made anymore. That said, the smartie pulls great in 4 gear on AZ hills.

My only advice is to replace the rear trailer light with LED's. Or keep a MERC relay (left of brake) handy. It is buried somewhere in our forum.

Sidenote: be happy when folks take pics with any of the trailers. Quote from strangers, "that makes a hell of a lot of good sense".

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Great trailers! BigWarpGuy always comes thru with new ideas. I have the Harbor Freight Tag-O-Long. I am not sure if that model is made anymore. That said, the smartie pulls great in 4 gear on AZ hills.

My only advice is to replace the rear trailer light with LED's. Or keep a MERC relay (left of brake) handy. It is buried somewhere in our forum.

Sidenote: be happy when folks take pics with any of the trailers. Quote from strangers, "that makes a hell of a lot of good sense".
Still available .... AND on sale :D

78" Tag-Along Trailer - 600 Lb. Capacity

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at that for a while- the HF tag along, seems like a nice trailer. I'd use it on a motorcycle, but the 8" wheels look comically small, even next to a smart. I'd be concerned about it not surviving a pothole. Also, it won't be as modular as putting a roof rack on a trailer. I think I'll pick up the trailer kit, LED's, ball and plywood this weekend. We'll see.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tacked up the 'roof' bars and hit them with some caliper paint I had leftover from doing my drums. They don't look terrible. Picked up the trailer and waiting for a warmer saturday afternoon to put everything together.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of work today. Over the course of about 7 hours, I assembled, painted and wired the trailer. I repacked the bearings, though they seemed pretty well lubed out of the box. Also, curse the sadistic jerk face who hammered the dust caps on with the bearings, washers, and cotter pins loose in the hub from the factory. I got the car wired up too, following an easy guide found here. I opted to leave the harness in the trunk and just time it out the bottom of the tailgate when I'll be needing it, and otherwise under the carpet. The LED trailer lights work great, and everything worked the first time. Picking up the ply and mounting everything tomorrow. I'll eventually paint the wheels black. Test drive went well. Not looking forward to registration at the DMV.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
So, what made you inspect the bearing? Was it rattling as you assembled it? Lucky you, that you found it!'
I'm anxious to see it all put together! :D It is looking good Colonel.

I named my first cat General Nuisance.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had to remove the dust caps to install it on the axle, and several reviews recommended repacking the bearings with better quality lube. Thanks! Will be all finished today.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done! Went exactly as planned, and looks great. Once it's registered I'll take it on the highway and dial in the alignment.

The bed is 1/2" pressure treated ply. I'll be lacquering or sealing it somehow when it warms up a bit. At least 2 of the four bolts on each 'leg' are through the frame.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Bed and cross bars mocked up for fit:

Bed, crossbars and accessories being mounted:

All done, with bikes (and some load in the box) to take it for a test drive:

Took the car for a much needed bath after all this, so much salt on the roads.

Thanks for looking!

·
17,358 Posts
Looks good Colonel!!!!! :cool:

One question about your rig. I'm planning on doing something somewhat similar so I can carry a bike or two, or camping supplies, or furniture, or whatever else would fit on a trailer but not in my car.

If you don't mind me asking:
How much did that trailer hitch cost ya? Where did you get it? And how did you go about the wiring? :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts