Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
Had no problems with the DMV as long as you bring the receipt from when you purchased the trailer, then list it as a home made and you should be fine. I put my light wiring under the rear carpet too. Keeps it nice and clean all winter Great looking rig!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Looks good Colonel!!!!! :cool:

One question about your rig. I'm planning on doing something somewhat similar so I can carry a bike or two, or camping supplies, or furniture, or whatever else would fit on a trailer but not in my car.

If you don't mind me asking:
How much did that trailer hitch cost ya? Where did you get it? And how did you go about the wiring? :)
I built this for camping and road trips, but rather than mounting everything straight on the bed, the crossbars give me the ability to strap just about anything I can think of to the trailer, and just about any roof rack accessory you can think of. The 3/4" pipe happens to be about the same diameter as yakima mounts too, so added bonus.

I'm not quite sure what you wanted to know about the rig, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

On the hitch, I got it from [hitch any thing dot com] for $150 shipped, maybe less.

Edit- why can't I link them?

·
17,360 Posts
Oops! My bad! My question is actually geared toward the hitch and wiring rather than the trailer itself.

Did you DIY install the hitch or did you get it installed? And how does the light wiring work (as in, how is it done)?

LEDs and a trailer hitch are the two next mods on my list. The LEDs may be taken care of this week and a towing rig in time for summer. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Woops! Missed the wiring question. Wired it all up myself. Rather easy. On the trailer, it's all color coded. On the car, I followed this guide:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/installing-trailer-wiring-harness-35935/

and this post to confirm:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/trailer-wiring-45046/#post532697

I just scotchlocked the tail light wiring in the car. I did not run it down to the hitch. Tucking it under the carpet is easier to do, easier to hide, and required no lengthening of the harness that came with the harbor freight LED kit. The only LED's on my car are the license plate, and front parking lights. I might pick up the LED third brake light at some point, but I haven't decided if it's worth it to me.

I DIY'd the hitch. It came with instructions and there is also this:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f77/how-step-step-curt-uhaul-hitch-install-lot-pics-l-43292/

The hitch has 3 bolt holes on each side. The center one on mine required the use of two spacers and meant drilling into the subframe, where the other two back ones meant only widening existing holes. I was not okay with putting additional holes in my subframe, so only 4 of the 6 bolts are holding it. Now- curts previous design only had a total of 4 bolts anyways, and was still rated to pull 1000 pounds, so I didn't really care. Have a set of ramps handy, and a floor jack to unload the suspension to snake the hitch in. You'll also need a 12 point metric socket set, at least a 10 inch extension (or 8" + deep socket), and some SAE sockets for the other bolts. You'll need a dremel (preferably corded) and a few course grinding stones. Some nice weather, and something comfier than pavement to lay on doesn't hurt either.

Hope that helps!

·
17,360 Posts
Holy smokes, that's a wealth of information right there!!!! Thanks!

I'll probably have it professionally installed since it's something that would be bearing weight and I like the safe, rather than sorry rule.

But the electrical connection will be all me...I enjoy fooling around with electrical stuffs.

Nice to know you can get a hitch installed on a smart for pretty cheap!!!

Any issues with bottoming out or scraping?

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
As you know, we have some pretty steep approaches here in Red Wing. I only heard a scrape once, and that was driving down an alley with deep wheel ruts. Otherwise since it is real close to where the tires are, no problems.!!

Got mine from Amazon and put it on in a short time while laying in the street. Taking the bumper out is the best way to go. You don't have to enlargen any holes that way.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Registration as a new trailer went fine at the DMV. It comes with a VIN and a certificate of origin, so it's treated like a vehicle. Taking it on the highway tonight probably.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Passed her maiden voyage on the highway with flying colors. I had to wire brush and repaint a couple small sections, mostly on some of the threads and on the flanges, the iron crossbars. Some small surface rust spots cropped up.

Also, I didn't notice at first, but apparently the harbor freight LED lights have no bulbs on the rear side markers, they're just reflectors. Other reviews confirm that this is the case, and not a defect or anything This may or may not be okay depending on your state laws. In RI, no safety inspection is required, and I have the forward amber markers anyways. I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So true...

The guys at LesSchwab replaced tires on my Smart's HF trailer (MDC hitch) in December. I walked out of the waiting area just in time to watch them jackknife it.
How are the tire prices? I feel like it would be cheaper to buy a whole replacement wheel and tire at HF.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How are the tire prices? I feel like it would be cheaper to buy a whole replacement wheel and tire at HF.
The HF tires flat-spotted after just two months of near daily use, with no overweight or oddly-balanced hauling.

I think I paid $65 for the pair...a name brand pair. We're gutting/remodeling a house, so given that this trailer has since hauled things as large as a full-sized tub/shower surround, washer/dryer pair, hardwood flooring (four trips!), and all kinds of misc wood boards, the Les Schwab warranty was worth it in my book.

Don't try this at home, kids...

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Oops! My bad! My question is actually geared toward the hitch and wiring rather than the trailer itself.

Did you DIY install the hitch or did you get it installed? And how does the light wiring work (as in, how is it done)?

LEDs and a trailer hitch are the two next mods on my list. The LEDs may be taken care of this week and a towing rig in time for summer. :)
It ain't rocket science. I just did a refurb of my 5X12 trailer including a strip-down, rust removal and treatment, paint, re-deck, and a new wiring harness and a couple of new lights. There is a LOT of info on how to do trailer wiring on the interweb -- follow the bouncing ball!

The HF tires flat-spotted after just two months of near daily use, with no overweight or oddly-balanced hauling.

I think I paid $65 for the pair...a name brand pair. We're gutting/remodeling a house, so given that this trailer has since hauled things as large as a full-sized tub/shower surround, washer/dryer pair, hardwood flooring (four trips!), and all kinds of misc wood boards, the Les Schwab warranty was worth it in my book.

Don't try this at home, kids...
Stuff from Harbor freight is pretty much cheap Chinese stuff with some of it being reasonably useful and much of it being not hardly serviceable at all, so you have to be careful. Not much of what they sell is heavy-duty. I've read where even on their new trailer you should go in and pack the bearings because they sometimes come dry from the factory. I'm sure your new tires will last much better.:wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stuff from Harbor freight is pretty much cheap Chinese stuff with some of it being reasonably useful and much of it being not hardly serviceable at all, so you have to be careful. Not much of what they sell is heavy-duty. I've read where even on their new trailer you should go in and pack the bearings because they sometimes come dry from the factory. I'm sure your new tires will last much better.:wink:
YES! I added bearing buddies to mine, and of-course packed them; the almost non-existent factory grease was yellow (shipping/assembly grease?).

I should also add, that the MDC hitch (which are still sold by MDC, on eBay) combined with HF's 12" wheel trailer made for a perfectly level setup once complete. I should grab some photos of the 4 wire connector I rigged up; it could almost pass for a factory install.

If you're up for a little welding. This guy welded HF's larger model trailer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So here's where I'm at on Harbor Freight. Their hand tools are great if you aren't using them every day, and the Pittsburgh branded stuff is all lifetime warranty. They have some real gems around the store, and an equal amount of crap to go with it.
Edit: A good chunk of craftsman tools are made in China now. If that's what I'm getting, I'll pick it up for a quarter the cost at Harbor Freight.

The trailer is decent if you square it up, buy the better lights and repack the bearings, which I did. They come packed pretty well, but with cheaper yellow grease. I'm thinking about doing the bearing buddies.

I'll run these tires until well, I can't. I'll pick up a spare wheel/tire combo from HF to mount under the trailer. When these wear out I'll probably just go with the Carlisles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Detail question

Can I ask specifically how you mounted the crossbars? I'm a total neophyte, so lots of detail would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Julie

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
crossbars look to be close enough to the sides to have at least a few bolts through the frame on each side.

I used a 1/2 plywood deck which should handle any load I put behind my smart. Usually once a year I check bolts and grease bearings, air tires, chk lights, etc. same with all my trailers.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts